Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec Extractors

Rufus The Bum

Guest Dick W Holliday

i just put mine in and started shooting it and didn't file or polish anything and it works better than the old style ever did.......Dick

• 8 months later...

the aftec needs to be setup,tuned correctly ,yes some may work right out of the box. polish the breechface with a dremel to start .relieve and round the angle under the hook with a file,it should be round an smooth,i also polish this area .. the firing pin stop is critical for proper functioning.,some metal must be removed where it contacts the extactor to allow the extractror to respond to the case rim sliding up under the hook, sometimes the springs apply too much pressure to allow the case rim to consistently feed into position.,you can carefully compress them to shorten or file a bit off,be careful here!,sometimes one spring works better than two. bob at brazos is an expert with extractors ,talk to him.make sure the extractor isnt too long and touching the rear of the barrel,file some off the extractor to shorten if necessary. B)

Be careful filing any material off of the end of the extractor. Mine was shortened when installed, and the hook broke off. I bought a new one and removed material from the barrel to get the extractor to fit correctly. Except for the hook, polish all areas of the end of the extractor. Get the contact pad, the angled portion, and the bottom of the head polished to a mirror finish. These are the areas that come in contact with the new round coming up to the breech face. Also polish the front of the hook to a mirror finish. I spoke with Aftec when I broke the first extractor, they claim that it is a drop in part. It did work ok, but after 20 minutes of polishing, it worked awsome. The slide stop needs to be radiused as per the instructions. Squish both springs for 30 seconds with a pair of pliars to break them in and they should work well together. I also have 2 spares plus 8 springs, just in case.