Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"feel" Like You Shot Well Vs. Just Shooting

Kyle J

Sometimes I feel I didn't shoot that well but I look at as I did the best I could that day. Every day is different you see differently (your vision is better on some days and not so good on others). The same with movement some days you move faster than others. IMO.

BK

I always have a different feeling. I get this strange feeling like I did really bad on the stage and yet I did very well, either winning the stage or placing in the top 5.

Anyone else feel that way?

Yes. The few I've won or did very well on I thought I was slow. I think that it was time compression from being in the zone.

Lately (most of this year) I haven't felt real great about my shooting. I believe that comes from a lack of doing it. Not enough time in the saddle. The result of that, in my mind, is a lack of confidence. That bit of "not knowing" invites the trap of trying. :unsure:

Trying, instead of turning up the vision and trusting is what pulls down performance, IMO.

That's exactly how it's been for me this season.

Question is, . . . . how do we fix it.

I always have a different feeling. I get this strange feeling like I did really bad on the stage and yet I did very well, either winning the stage or placing in the top 5.

Anyone else feel that way?

That is exactly what I am talking about above.

For me, the feeling comes from trying...instead of knowing. It's a lack of trust issue.

The fix...IMO...is to turn up the vision. Visual patience before the shot, and follow through after the shot. That, and actually practicing...which is not only a means of skill development, but also an avenue of building/reinforcing confidence in the shooting.

Question is, . . . . how do we fix it.

Two paths then? Practice and mental discipline.

I think a shooter can go far doing one or the other, but doing both would allow even better performance.

For me if I am short of breath from a short stage I think I have done well because I am more or less in the moment and not trying just doing and seeing. If I cannot remember my reloads, everything went as it should and nothing sticks out. But what do I know. :mellow: