Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"feel" Like You Shot Well Vs. Just Shooting

Kyle J

I believe that when I "feel" like I shot a good stage, I usually do. Where if i feel that I did poorly I have bad hits and slow times. Also my reloads never go as fast as dry fire reloads. (About 1.3-1.5 secs). Help!!!! :blink:

I don't think anyone really thinks they do well in a match. There is always something they will critique to death or beat themselves up about. As far as reloads go i try to break my speed limit in dry fire, but i just want to make them in the real deal so I slow way down to make sure I get them. They end up being much faster than I realize when I get the video downloaded. I still have a long way to go though.

I don't think anyone really thinks they do well in a match. There is always something they will critique to death or beat themselves up about. As far as reloads go i try to break my speed limit in dry fire, but i just want to make them in the real deal so I slow way down to make sure I get them. They end up being much faster than I realize when I get the video downloaded. I still have a long way to go though.

Thanks for the info. I will try to slow my reloads a bit in my next match.

it is just a training thing for me. you may pick it up easier or have a different gun. Personally I slow down a bit. I want a more deliberate action vs a throw and pray. I shoot production and I have to say not having a magwell helps you when you move up to a division where you do like Limited/Ltd10 or Open. your reloads will be much faster if they are deliberate and precise vs fast and hopeful. Check out our top shooter at my club. He thought his reload was choppy.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3350057591449323065

Pay no attention to the grinning goofball!

I never feel like I shot a stage well. I may know I have no penalties and may have the fastest time in my squad (or NOT), but until I see the final results I don't dwell on anything except what did I learn needs some improvement.

When I get results the next day you better believe my wife and I become rough critics of ourselves. We're also our own biggest fans, so it all evens out :)

It's hard to answer because when I feel like I shot a stage well, I absolutely smoked it. Most of the time I don't have that feeling of shooting it the best I can, yet it is still really good. It's that never ending pursuit of perfection that makes this so fun for me.

In regards to reloads, they will often happen faster in a match. I consistently see more when I'm shooting in a stage as compared to practice and that will lead to faster reloads.

Don't think slow. Just focus on the magwell better.

This seems to be the key to getting a good reload and a bumbled reload for me. And whether i'm thinking about the reload, nothing at all, or something like my toe.

I also feel that something needs clarifying. When I say my reloads it only seems to be the ones on the move that go wrong. Sorry for not saying this in the first place.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Keep it comin'!

I shoot one out of 4 stages decently on a good day, but there is always something that could have gone better no matter what. Even on stage wins across all divisions with a Limited gun I picked the run apart and tried to find where the wasted time, motion, or points were. There have only been a couple stages where I said to myself 'damn, that was good'. I enjoy the pursuit of progress almost as much as running at my capability, and the pursuit of progress is more likely to lead to an increase in performance. As long as I increase my ability by defining a weakness in my ability to work on everything is fine, even if it goes really poorly. Don't get me wrong, I will get pretty bent, I will probably piss and moan for a bit too if things go badly but by the time I get to the next stage it is over almost every time.

Mindset when you get to the LAMR is far more important than most can realize. If you step to the line with a plan, a plan that you KNOW is solid, knowing that you CAN shoot the plan and the plan WILL work things will go SO much better than 'normal' that you can't believe it. I really believe that is the real key to shooting at your ability, at least it is for me right now. Even if your plan is glued together with dookie and falling apart at the seams you HAVE to put every confidence in it when you load, that is all you have at that point. KNOW it will work and KNOW it is solid, sell it to yourself. At that point it can't get worse, you need something and anything really to run. Run it as is, take what it gives. It is far better than trying to decide what to do as you are loading. Even if you feel like you are selling eskimo's ice it is better than stepping to the line unsure of what is going to happen. Decide, and then shoot it.

BTW, my match reloads duplicate my dry fire, some go well and others don't. It is what it is, even if you launch a mag over the berm you can't do anything but recover and keep going. By the time things to go shit it is far too late to do anything about it. I see a lot of shooters have something go wrong and it blows the ENTIRE stage for them where if they had stayed in the game it wouldn't have hurt nearly so bad. Even in dry fire RECOVER from whatever happens and finish the drill. Those people quickly fall from contention, even if it is just C or D class bragging rights. We shoot what we practice.

I shoot one out of 4 stages decently on a good day, but there is always something that could have gone better no matter what. Even on stage wins across all divisions with a Limited gun I picked the run apart and tried to find where the wasted time, motion, or points were. There have only been a couple stages where I said to myself 'damn, that was good'. I enjoy the pursuit of progress almost as much as running at my capability, and the pursuit of progress is more likely to lead to an increase in performance. As long as I increase my ability by defining a weakness in my ability to work on everything is fine, even if it goes really poorly. Don't get me wrong, I will get pretty bent, I will probably piss and moan for a bit too if things go badly but by the time I get to the next stage it is over almost every time.

Mindset when you get to the LAMR is far more important than most can realize. If you step to the line with a plan, a plan that you KNOW is solid, knowing that you CAN shoot the plan and the plan WILL work things will go SO much better than 'normal' that you can't believe it. I really believe that is the real key to shooting at your ability, at least it is for me right now. Even if your plan is glued together with dookie and falling apart at the seams you HAVE to put every confidence in it when you load, that is all you have at that point. KNOW it will work and KNOW it is solid, sell it to yourself. At that point it can't get worse, you need something and anything really to run. Run it as is, take what it gives. It is far better than trying to decide what to do as you are loading. Even if you feel like you are selling eskimo's ice it is better than stepping to the line unsure of what is going to happen. Decide, and then shoot it.

BTW, my match reloads duplicate my dry fire, some go well and others don't. It is what it is, even if you launch a mag over the berm you can't do anything but recover and keep going. By the time things to go shit it is far too late to do anything about it. I see a lot of shooters have something go wrong and it blows the ENTIRE stage for them where if they had stayed in the game it wouldn't have hurt nearly so bad. Even in dry fire RECOVER from whatever happens and finish the drill. Those people quickly fall from contention, even if it is just C or D class bragging rights. We shoot what we practice.

Very helpful. A lot of stages if i go to slidelock or some other unplanned event happens, my brain frys and my plan goes with it. I'll try to sell my plan to myself next time.

One of the shooters at my club says he likes to shoot the stage mentally at least ten times before he gets to LAMR.

This has really helped me, having to decide what targets are next, where I'm going next, did I miss a target, etc. really slow me down....so while I'm waiting, every time the buzzer goes, I'm off to the rear, eyes closed, going through the stage in my head, so "hopefully" by the time they call me, its burned into my mind and I just have to "get after it at the buzzer!"

One of the shooters at my club says he likes to shoot the stage mentally at least ten times before he gets to LAMR.

This has really helped me, having to decide what targets are next, where I'm going next, did I miss a target, etc. really slow me down....so while I'm waiting, every time the buzzer goes, I'm off to the rear, eyes closed, going through the stage in my head, so "hopefully" by the time they call me, its burned into my mind and I just have to "get after it at the buzzer!"

I really like to paste and reset targets because it gives me more of an idea where everything is and I can got to different sections of the COF and get a feel for how it all looks from different angles. It really helps me out and makes me look like I am working hard! :rolleyes:

Don't think slow. Just focus on the magwell better.

You know what's weird, sometimes I "feel" my best when I can slow time down. It's the "matrix" effect!! :D

But in reality that's because I don't always move as fast as my brain does...

• 8 months later...

With the comments of feeling like time slowed down, reminds me of the old saw, "slow is smooth, smooth is fast". On the rare occasion I get a good stage, it usually feels smooth. Reloads, crud, just crud. I am working on some advise to keep the gun in eyeline while reloading, but during a stage, yeah, am still dropping it and taking too much time getting a realignment. While I try only to reload while moving, a pesky popper can still bite me, and leave me a round or two short. Old slow D shooter, but dang I have fun.

Lately (most of this year) I haven't felt real great about my shooting. I believe that comes from a lack of doing it. Not enough time in the saddle. The result of that, in my mind, is a lack of confidence. That bit of "not knowing" invites the trap of trying. :unsure:

Trying, instead of turning up the vision and trusting is what pulls down performance, IMO.

I believe that as you practice and see signs of improvement, that it's sometimes difficult to be totally satisfied with a stage per se. After all you know you have shot components of that stage much better in practice. I personally know I shoot a lot better now than even 6 months ago but am rarely satisfied with a particular stage. I always think that I could shoot it again even better than the first go. The question is the , is that feeling driving me to do better or holding me back even thing about it? :unsure: