Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bay Area Gunsmith

wazzu

Hello All I'm looking for a gunsmith in the SF bay area to cut a front sight dovetail onto my sti 9mm slide.  When I purchased the slide I hadn't noticed that it wasn't cut for a front sight.  Anyone have any recommendations on who could do this for me.  I don't mind sending it to someone if that is a better option.  I was just thinking I would like to go local so I wouldn't have to mess with the whole shipping ordeal.

Thanks

Doug

I recommended her because she's a good smith that's local and reliable and delivers ontime.  That she's female is just a plus :-)

Jardine does good work, IF you can find him, IF he knows you and IF he feels like it.   So be sure to drop David's name if you contact him!!!

Randy Der at Der Custom Guns in Vacaville, CA does good work.  He's a retired cop, and does fine work, has a quick turnaround, and charges reasonble prices.

(707) 451-3756.  Tell him Lou from Richmond PD sent you.

Lou

• 4 weeks later...

Shooter Grrl, can I ask what did Askew do for your gun?

When I visited them last week, they seemed less than confidence-inspiring.  When we spoke about a trigger job, she said they couldn't fix the pre-travel.  When we spoke about fitting a barrel, she said they'd never worked on a Kart barrel before.  

I left the gun there, for some cosmetic stuff like mag well, and such.

It just made me wonder, if their specialty isn't 1911s.

Some smiths on the internet advertise specifically that their trigger job addresses pre-travel, so I was expecting Askews would know how to do it too.

I will second the note on John Jardine.  I have a 1911 that was worked on by him, and a buddy has a TRP and Hi-Power that he really basically rebuilt.  Tremendous work.  Thought so much of it I ordered a couple of his Valtros.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

wazzu,

I was also looking for someone to do a bedding job on my Remington .270 here in the Bay Area, and got turned down by two different smith's because they didn't want to do a job like that, or wanted to take forever, and a day. So I went and got a kit from Brownells, and muddled through it on my own. It worked OK, but I am not going to recommend that as the preferred way to get a bedding job done.

It reminds me of a joke that I can repurpose here;

Q: What's the difference between a great Bay Area "Competition Grade" gunsmith, and a poltergeist.

A: There's no difference, they are both figments of your imagination.

Seriously, I send stuff out-a-state to get good work done on my competition blasters nowadays.

You could try Frank Tabor @ Tabor Shooters Supply in San Bruno. He has done a lot of little, to medium things for me, and he does OK work. He can be real slow on the turnaround though. (650) 589-0505

TaborShooters.Com

Regards,