Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Bullets And Aet Barrels

Has anyone shot these bullets for an extended period of time in an AET barrel?

I have discussed this with Wil Scheuman. Wil has not tested this bullet for wear on AET barrels. As per David Long of Precision Bullets the baked on proprietary finish on thier bullets do not contain graphite or silica like some of the moly lubes used on other moly coated bullets. He dosen't think it will wear the barrel any more than a lead bullet does.

They have several Scheuman barrels(non AET) that they have tested and experienced no accuracy problems from the use of these bullets.

I would like to hear from someone that has used these bullets and what difference was noticed if any between these and jacketed bullets.

Thanks

I've been shooting Dave's bullets for the last 4 years. I also shoot lead for periods of time because it's less expensive. I find that my barrel is easier to clean after using Dave's bullets and I don't see any unusual wear.

I had a 6" .40 that had an AET barrel in it..... I bought it from the owner of Masterblasters Bullets (similar to Precison moly). When I bought it used, it had at least 30 or 40K of his moly rounds through it, and I put another 15K or so through it over the next 2 years. Still held tight groups, and the rifling was still pretty sharp.

Some people would argue that hard jacketed bullets cause more wear than any moly or lead bullet, in pistols. I think the ole wives tales about moly wearing barrels are primarily based on guys shooting rifles, and hand coating their jacket bullets with moly.... in a form that was failry abrasive as applied, evidently.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the replies. I have discussed this further with Wil and David. I have come to the conclusion that Precision Bullets could not wear the barrel any worse than jacketed bullets.

According to Wil the AET barrel does not wear any different than any other barrel he makes.

The difference is in the throating, rifling etc.

I am going to load some for this weekends match.

Thanks again

Do you have an update for us?

How did they work in your pistol?

I picked up some of the 185gr precision to test out. I haven't had a chance to try them yet as I'm still in my single stack mode for the year...

Any accuracy results, or leading issues or smoke related problems?

I thought the issue with moly coated bullets and the like was whether or not the AET barrels would stabilize them properly...?

I'm having some issues like that with a certain FMJ bullet.

I tried a few of the Precision 185 gr bullets in my SV. They were very accurate but the load is a little hot. Smoke was not really noticeable, but I was outdoors with bright sun. I reduced the load from 5gr of N320 with a Zero 180gr JHP to 4.6 gr with the 185 gr. I think I can reduce the load to around 4.3 and still make major. I am going to load some this weekend and shoot them over the chrono. Will post results.

My concern originally was whether or not these bullets would wear the barrel faster than the JHPs.

Edited by Jaxshooter

I tried a few of the Precision 185 gr bullets in my SV. They were very accurate but the load is a little hot. Smoke was not really noticeable, but I was outdoors with bright sun. I reduced the load from 5gr of N320 with a Zero 180gr JHP to 4.6 gr with the 185 gr. I think I can reduce the load to around 4.3 and still make major. I am going to load some this weekend and shoot them over the chrono. Will post results.

My concern originally was whether or not these bullets would wear the barrel faster than the JHPs.

Ah! Ok, now I understand. I can't imagine they would wear a barrel out faster than a jacketed bullet. They are supposed to have the same wear characteristics as a lead bullet.

Mick,

The bullets you speak of, are they the berry bullets?

If so, they tumbled big time out of my aet equipped SV limited gun as well.....

One problem with Moly Coatings(at least in some forms) is that it is Hygroscopic - it atracts moisture.

In a chrome moly barrel, that could mean rust and/or pitting. Probably not an issue with stainless.

You can google moly and hygroscopic and find a bunch of info. Not sure if it is an issue with the bullets in question however.

5Shot

Edited by 5Shot

From my experience with the precisions you will use about .5gn LESS powder to start. Then you may have to bump UP a tenth gn or so. I bet those were some serious loads @ 5gn of n320! I was also wondering about thier effect on an AET barrel because I just got my Sighttracker a few months ago. If I am going to TRY to unseat any M and GM's I have got to find cheaper bullets. My new 1050 (on the way) comes with an impressive rep for eating vast quantities of ammo components. :D The Zero's and MG's have gotten outrageously expensive....I have been throwing some Precision Delta's down range and they seem pretty good....but the moly Precision's are way cheaper and I think they shoot just as good. Too bad they don't come in a hollow point...I like to see big holes! Let us know how they did.

Thanks,

Chuck M.

I have discussed this with Wil Scheuman. Wil has not tested this bullet for wear on AET barrels. As per David Long of Precision Bullets the baked on proprietary finish on thier bullets do not contain graphite or silica like some of the moly lubes used on other moly coated bullets. He dosen't think it will wear the barrel any more than a lead bullet does.

They have several Scheuman barrels(non AET) that they have tested and experienced no accuracy problems from the use of these bullets.

I would like to hear from someone that has used these bullets and what difference was noticed if any between these and jacketed bullets.

Thanks

Have shot fair amount of both Master Blasters in my Sv and Bear Creek's in my Kimber - like them and they are cheap - got tired of the mess with lead and escalating price of jacketed

I used them for a long time in a Nowlin barrel at 165pf. The issue I had was them was they left a buttload of black crap WELDED to the grooves. It is EXTREMELY HARD to get out. I've heard from other people that they did not get this residue. It makes me wonder how closely they are examining their barrel.

Other than that problem I really liked them because they are slipperier than any bullet I've used and make it easy to make PF with considerably less powder. They were accurate in my gun and the deviation was minimal.

Once I finally got all that stuff out of my barrel with special solvent and a LOT of elbow grease I discontinued their use. If they came up with a way to keep this stuff from getting stuck inside the barrel or at least something that will take it out easily I would go back to them in a heartbeat.

MW

If they came up with a way to keep this stuff from getting stuck inside the barrel or at least something that will take it out easily I would go back to them in a heartbeat.

MW

Try soaking the barrel in a jar with a mixture of 50% Hydrogen Peroxide and 50% White Vinegar. Let it soak about 10 minutes or so, and then use a good stiff brush to wipe it out, run a couple patches, the crud should come right out. (I got this from Dave Long at Precision).

Works like a charm in my barrels so far. (don't use this on blued barrels, only stainless)

I don't think I would use the peroxide treatment on my AET barrels either. I have decided not to use the Precision bullets in either one of my Sight Trackers. I am going to stick with Zero 180 JHPs.

I am using them in my Single Stack, S&W 625 and S&W 610.

Glad you posted this. I started loading .40 with Zero 180 grain JHPs over 5 grains of Bullseye. Using the same charge with 185 grain precision bullets resulted in significantly higher MV. I knoew I'd have to reduce the charge. You post may help me find the right charge a bit quicker.

Lee