Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trials Riding And Stunts

ErikW

The first vid "bicycle trial stunts" is faked man.

There's some seroius vid-editing going on there.

Take a close look at the segment at time 1:07 thru 1:15 come on.... :)

Edited by TDean

Not fake. I have a bunch of VHS tapes of trials riding and Hans Rey. The most impressive move I've ever seen was Hans on a nose wheelie going backwards down a hill in San Francisco while his friend was also doing a nose wheelie right in front of him.

Doing a nose wheelie going down hill isn't hard since it's all front brake modulation to stay near the balance point. Back wheel starts to drop, just apply more front brake. Back end gets too high, just ease off on the front brake. Going backwards is nearly impossible. Most people aren't used to being on the wrong side of the balance point.

Alright, if you boyz sayz it's realz, I'll believe you.

...but damn, perhaps my connection is fritzy but some of those transitions look like garvity is non-existant. It's like he moves straight across rock to rock with not up or down motion.

So when he's pedalling backwards, that's not the video in reverse?

Hmmm..

You have to pedal backwards faster than the wheel is moving due to the ratchet in the rear hub preventing the wheel from turning backwards.

As for jumping across gaps on the rear wheel, it's a maneuver called pedal kick. It's one of the key fundamental movements in trials. One that I almost got a hang of before I quit riding and got rid of my mod trials bike. Pedal kick is one of the hardest things to learn. Basically, you lock the rear wheel, lean really far back to get to the balance point and start hopping on the rear wheel. Then let the front wheel drop a little, let go of the rear brake, give a quick kick with the pedal, while shifting your weight forward and up, all this in a few milliseconds of each other. Of course it's easier said than done.

Way cool Bob!

I started racing about '73 and was totally done '85.

My last bike was a 1983 Maico Spyder 490.

I wish my last bike was an "81 Maico because they were a superior machine.

I finished my youth turning wrenches for a friend trying to go pro at AMA Supercross's and Nationals. Lots of cool stuff you never want to forget. :)

You probably did the whole Texas winter series after the Florida series.

What did they call that?

The Supercross series ruined all of that fun. :lol:

FM

Way cool on the maico!!!!!

Mine was an 81 or2 mega 2 490 Hottest bike I EVER had about 200lbs WET 50 hp at the back wheel

The guy I sold it to had no respect for it(after severe warnings)

On his first ride he crashed hard..spent three weeks in the hospital!

jim

The "83 Spyder's were really top heavy and the brakes sucked.

The '81 was the best bike Maico ever made IMHO.

I'm so old I have never owned a water cooled or disc braked dirt bike! :lol::lol::lol:

FM