Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Aftec Is Needed?

I'm not sure the Brownell's catalog is correct.

I'm shooting 9x21 using a 9mm Springfield slide (vintage 1986).

In the Brownells catalog (page 101) the AFTEC Extractor has the following note:

Note on 9mm. If your slide has a true 9mm breech face (like the SVI interchangeable, some Caspians and Nowlins, order extractor #466-001-038. If your 9mm is built on a .38 Super slide (most are) order extractor #466-001-009.

#466-001-009 fits 9X19, 9X21, 38S Comp

#466-001-038 fits .38 Super

So if I shoot 9mm from a 9mm slide, I should order the .38 Super extractor? Just doesn't seem to make sense to my feeble mind.

The Brownells catalog is the only place I can find this note. Any insight is appreciated.

Bill

Funny, Chuck didn't say anything when I ordered a 9mm Aftec for a 9mm major gun using a Super slide........

I would use the 9mm extractor, but I do also trust Chuck to steer me in the right direction.

I buy most everything I need from Chuck, great customer service and good solid advice on the other end of the line. Brownells is also a great company but many times their people don't understand exactly what we do. That is the reason Chuck gets $9.90 out of ever $10 I spend on gun parts.

I'm pretty sure the only difference between the 9mm and .38 Super Aftec is the thickness of the pad on the inside of the extractor. The 9mm/38SC Aftec has a slightly thinner pad but the hook is the same. You can turn a .38 Super Aftec into a 9mm/38SC Aftec by cutting the pad down a little. I have one of each and I would measure them for you but the battery in my calipers is dead. :(

IN the beginning all we had was 38 super breach faces so Aftec, when it was owned by Pat Cochran, made a 38 super extractor and a 38 super comp/9mm extractor. With the True 9mm breech faces the 9mm Aftec found itself misnamed. The 9mm aftec accounted for the extra space when using a smaller rim case in 9mm and super comp, so its a tighter fit. With the 9mm breech face the tighter 9mm extractor is too tight and according to the previous owner of Aftec , Pat, the 38 super extractor was best for 9mm slides. Now enters the problem of 9mm slides not being consistent on the dimensions. So sometimes the 38 super extractor works and sometimes it doesnt.

The new owner of Aftec, Derek Janowicz, told me that sometimes its best to get a 9mm aftec with a 9mm slide and custom fit it but in general a 38 super extractor should work. It really depends on the dimensions of the individual slide. Feel free to contact Derek and ask if any new developments have come up.

On our custom guns we tried using 9mm slides and found that although the 9mm breach face centers the case in relation to the firing pin hole it moves the rim of the case away from the ejector. So we decided to go back to using 38 super slides for 9mm guns and had a special ejector made for us by egw. In a perfect world a 9mm slide would use a 9mm specific ejector and have an ejector slot moved toward the center the same distance as the side wall is moved. Also the 9mm slides now have a step the brass rim has to negotiate which would be alleviated by the ejector slot being moved along with the side wall of the breach face. Sometimes going halfway to make something better isnt better at all, or even as good.