Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

running dry

ErikW

I've run my gun dry in 2 of my last 3 matches. I don't think I've done that in the entire previous two years.

Both times I fired my last round before a reload, so I only had to rack the slide instead of reloading, but it still hurts.

Didn't I write in a post you should never stretch your mag capacity and push your reloads?

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe I did this again at the Crazy Croc. Twice! I was pushing my magazine capacity, not allowing for a makeup shot. (Didn't I say not to push your reloads?) Both times it ran dry at the reload so I just had to rack the gun. The second time didn't really count because it was a surprise stage. I felt the slide cycle differently so I racked it, so it just added a second or so to the reload. The first time I didn't notice and heard the loudest sound in the world, a hammer dropped on an empty chamber.

There was almost a third time on the plank stage, again I took a make-up shot I couldn't afford, but I made an early reload. That screwed me up for my next reload (also pushing the mag capacity) and I had to find another place to reload. I stuck one in after an activating popper and a plate, and got the double-exposure target just before it disappeared. Too close for comfort.

Curse these high capacity magazines, they tempt me so!

Eric

Shoot some L10. I am shooting Nationals for fun and support of sport and have to say L10 drives me crazy. It seems like you reload everytime you breath or take a step. It will "teach" you to remember. At the club match this weekend I had to reload 4 times more than Limited and many more than Open. :o

I started shooting a 10 round gun in Limited (years before L10). I seem to have forgotten. I've downloaded my L gun and shot L10 a few times, it's sometimes fun but sometimes the mag changes are a distraction.

I do that when I have not shot enough matches. I don't think you can practice the shooting too much, but I don't know how to practice the when to reload part properly.

Most club matches do not stretch the brain hard enough when it comes to taxing the shooter on trying things with the when it's time to reload thing. Of course club resources and range sizes are sometimes a problem. No ones fault , just a nasty fact.

As the mag capacity went up many guys took the reload when I want attitude. Most guys don't cover themselves for when they lose count or miss a few. I am really guilty of this. It's a habit thing I am sure.