Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load For Imm Open

abs

I have an IMM open (about 5years old, second barrel and comp, Tribrid bbl-3ports, 3 ex-chambers) and am getting tired of the search for 3n38. I am down to my last 30 1bs or so of sp-2 , which I really like, but you know the story.

What are you guys running in your guns like mine? SV sez to only use 3n38 and 124 MG or Hornady bullets.

Thanks for your input, I'll kick back and wait, I have lots of down time these days!

What are you guys running in your guns like mine? SV sez to only use 3n38 and 124 MG or Hornady bullets.

Thanks for your input, I'll kick back and wait, I have lots of down time these days!

In addition to 3N38 in my SV Open gun, I used 3N37 and then N350. I liked N350 the best and the burn rate of 3N38 and N350 are very similar.

I have an IMM open (about 5years old, second barrel and comp, Tribrid bbl-3ports, 3 ex-chambers) and am getting tired of the search for 3n38. I am down to my last 30 1bs or so of sp-2 , which I really like, but you know the story.

I would only use 3N38, and make sure the comp is "always" clean. MG 124gr JHP and 3n38 is the best combination to make major and not have too much over pressure issues. Good luck!

Sandro

Generally - the more holes in the barrel, and the closer they are to the chamber, the slower the powder you need to run. At some point, you run out of case capacity, though - you can't fit enough powder to make major in the case. 3N38 partially solves that by being a relatively slow powder, but with high density, so there's room for more of it.

In the full tribrid arrangement on the IMM guns (ie, 4 ports, 3 tribrid comp, plus full comp - its probably the only powder "readily" available that will be safe to drive things to major. I'm thinking you're saying you have fewer ports than that - if so, you might be able to give N350, N105, or perhaps 4756 a try, and still stay in the relatively slow range. 3N37 and 7625 are faster burning than those - be careful working loads up for those powders....

Note, though, that SV makes those recommendations for a reason ;)

Didn't the reason have something to do with erosion ? I recall it being brought up and was enough of a reason to be taken seriously.

According to their webpage, its concerns about high pressure causing extraction issues: http://www.sviguns.com/technical/immnotice.html Of course, if you have pressure problems that cause case sticking, in all likelihood you're risking other things, as well, like casehead separations, etc.

They recommend bullets w/ no exposed lead base due to lead accumulating in the tribrid comp chambers (and regular comp chambers, too) - perhaps that's what's you're thinking about?

There have been other threads on the forum discussing various powders and their propensity (or lack thereof) for causing comp and bore erosions, etc...

Interesting to note that SV's site says that Tribrid ribbed barrels with fewer than 6 ports in the rib can consider using a faster powder, and they mention 7625 along with N350, and also some slower powders. abs might do well to compare his config against the chart on that page, and see what fits.... ;)

abs might do well to compare his config against the chart on that page, and see what fits....

Yup, mine is the top of the chart lots of holes...guess I'll keep chaseing and using the 3n38.

Thanks to all that took the time to reply!

abs