Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Lead In A 1911?

Gti18T

I know the 1911 in 9mm is kind of picky, but wondering if anybody runs lead reloads through their 1911 9mm.

Hi Dan,

I've run through about 750 rounds of Ultramax remanufactured 125gr LRN through my STI Trojan and had 2 FTBRs in those 750. Both were in a match, and both were after a couple sessions since the last cleaning. The stuff seems to run ok, not as clean as WWB though. It was some pretty dirty stuff. I've since given up on cheap factory ammo and started reloading, I'll try the moly and plated bullets before trying any more lead in 9mm.

-bp

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for being into this one.

If the handgun is a single stack, get some of the Springfield mags with the front of the magazine crimped in to act like a feed ramp. This is a clever idea. I had a Springfield 1911 Stainless Loaded in 9mm (stupidly sold it to buy a really nice rifle) and they shot fine. I used all sorts of reloaded ammo, lead, fmj and jhp. Nothing would let me down. The Springfield mags work in nearly anything single stack (my current toy is a Kimber Custom in 9mm), loaded with either Zero 125JHP, 125gr Coated Conical Lead or Sierra 115JHP and no issues.

When I used to shoot lead bullets in my 9mm's I did not expereince leading using 147 gr. bullets at less than 900 fps. If memory serves me correct the WW data indicates a maximum load of 3.5 gr. W-231 with the 147 gr. lead bullet. Drop me an e-mail and I'll look up the WW data when I return homer on Match 27th.

Some guns (not all 1911s) can be very picky about 9mm reloads. Especially lead. I have run into a number of them which absolutely hate lead bullets and Bullseye. how bad? how about keyholes, and three hits of five shots on a 25 yard USPSA target?

Move to slower powders, and they shoot well. the threshold seems to be WW-231. One interesting powder that shoots amazingly well in a whole slew of 9mms with lead bullets is SR-4756.

Even the best can be picky. I have a new 9mm pistola that either loves or hates what it gets. If it loves it, 1" at 25 yards. If it hates it, 6-8" at 25 yards, from the Ransom rest.

Your gun will be what it will be, but everything loves something. Find what it likes, and feed it.

Depends on the barrel. In a standard production barrel they should work fine as long as the velocity and lead hardness match, In a match grade specifically Nowlin match grade which is slightly undersized no way. I kept wondering why I was doing terrible on stage three of IDPA qualifier. went on for a while. Every time I checked for acuracy gun shot great figured it was me. Till I shot it dirty group size was in feet at 25 yards. Cleaned gun next day started over gun shot great first mag, second a little larger by 30 rounds or so groups were patterns instead of groups. Moral of story check accuracy after you have fired a hundred rounds or so.