Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Range Should I Expect?

Spaceghost

The last time I shot 3 gun in a competitive way, we loaded the gun from the muzzle.

I'm setting up a new rifle and trying to balance the need for speed with the need for magnification / barrel needed for long shots. Based on your experiences in the last year or so at major matches, what distance shooting should I expect to encounter and what weight will it carry in the overall match?

I remember back 12 to 15 years ago I shot (either a regional or national 3 gun match in Glenrose, TX) and we had to drop plates out at 350 yds. My .223 made them wiggle/wobble and the guy shooting the .308 next to me made them fly. Back then I had a standard 20" barrel with a 1.5x6 Burris.

You may see some long shots (300+ yards) here and there, but by and large they do not make up large portions of most matches. Maybe 5-10% of most 3 gun matches scoring value are long distance rifle shots at best, quite often less.

Nowadays most matches use self re-setting targets that react better and steel that falls should be calibrated for .223. If an AR running quality 55gr FMJ won't activate a target at a modern 3 gun match it's probably because you didn't actually hit it ;-)