Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr Vs. 115gr 9mm Vs. Steel

glock_556

Yes. Think of bowling. A 10lb ball at the same speed as a 16lb ball. More weight = more energy transfered to the target. a 147 at 870 fps works much better than a 115 at the same speed. most factory 147 runs close to 950fps. I have found the American Eagle 147 to be the softest feeling factory ammo in this weight. One of the guys I shoot with loads a 147 at about 127-128PF and it feels like a 22lr, but it takes down steel hard!

It depends on how fast you want to go.I used to shoot 255 grain in a 45 and 147 in a super 38 at pins because they took the pins off the table better on a less than perfect hit but got my butt kicked at second chance by people shooting 200gr in 45 and 115gr in supers due in part to the gun cycleing faster.HTH.

Will a mouse fart 147gr. 9mm bullet load be more effective against steel then say a WWB 115 gr load?

Are you shooting static steel or knockdown steel?

.... :huh: I don't think there a 9mm load on earth which will knock over static steel. At least not a handgun one, I guess some big game rifle might be able to pull it off, but even then it will be something to watch.

Edited by Vlad

Will a mouse fart 147gr. 9mm bullet load be more effective against steel then say a WWB 115 gr load?

.... :huh: I don't think there a 9mm load on earth which will knock over static steel. At least not a handgun one, I guess some big game rifle might be able to pull it off, but even then it will be something to watch.

I want to see it too!

I've done it --- knocked an 8" plate over on one of GT Targets stands. The trick? Buy the folding stand, use a five foot 2x4, and triple tap the plate......

He's asking if it's static steel (ala Steel Challenge) vs. knockdown steel so he can tailor his load advice. If you shoot static steel you can go super-light on the load because hits are scored by impact rather than knocking the steel over.

My mousefart 147s, put in the right spot on a falling piece of steel will get the job done as efficiently as a hot 115 load delivered to the same spot......

Accurate delivery is more important than bullet weight or power factor, if the steel's been properly calibrated, and is in good working order and design....

My mousefart 147s, put in the right spot on a falling piece of steel will get the job done as efficiently as a hot 115 load delivered to the same spot......

Accurate delivery is more important than bullet weight or power factor, if the steel's been properly calibrated, and is in good working order and design....

+1. Get the hits and everything should fall into place...assuming that steel was properly calibrated.

+1. Get the hits and everything should fall into place...assuming that steel was properly calibrated.

+1 again. Good hits are essential. However, knocking over steel is a matter of MOMENTUM transfer not energy. Two loads that generate the same power factor (a momentum based formula) should take down steel with equal aplomb. What it comes down to is what kind of feel you prefer in your loads. Slower or faster/snappier? I guess this comes back around to what gets you good hits faster?