Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compensator On A 6" Sti Eagle

mlcasmey

Is there a good reason not to put a comp, like the Dawson awesome comp, on a 6" bull barrel STI Eagle? I know most of the comp guns I see are 5". I shoot a winter league combo combat/bullseye where we shoot rapid fire, both hands, various distance, at targets with pretty tight rings. Being fast and accurate is a must.

I love the 6" Eagle. Would I screw it up by putting a comp on it?

Mike.

Getting a second barrel is probably smart. Not a tru-bor. They only make the tru-bor in 9mm and 38 super. I was thinking about a .45 Eagle in 6" with a comp. Big bullet, big hole, better chance to cut a higher ring. I already have a .38 super unlimited.

OK now the even harder question. Who would you recommend as a smith to put a comp on a barrel. Just don't say Clark Custom.

Mike.

Is anybody else at your event running a comp ?

I've seen where events like that let somebody do a little work to their guns...up until the point that the person starts to win with them. Then, they come up with a new Open division to put that gun in.

This is a very informal league. Just a bunch of guys trying to survive the Minnesota winters having fun indoors. When you start winning they just throw you in a snow bank.

I'm more concerned about having a qualified gunsmith put the comp on the gun. I don't know any.

I wonder if these guys could help you out:

http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.8.php

If not, they might point you to somebody local that could.

FWIW, I gotta think you might not get a whole lot of benefit out of putting the comp on the 6in 45...for the amount of time and money it might cost.

You are probably loading pretty soft already ?

FWIW, I gotta think you might not get a whole lot of benefit out of putting the comp on the 6in 45...for the amount of time and money it might cost.

That's what I was thinking. I shoot a 6" .40SW STI Trojan with 180-grain factory load, and that dreaded "snappy recoil .40" feels like a wimp in that long gun.