Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yhm Phantom 5.56 Sound Suppressor

BigDave

Does anyone here have experience with the YHM Phantom 5.56 can? It looks like it is the most (least?) bang for the buck.

eta - corrected spelling and made it clear I'm asking about a silencer, not a flash hider

Edited by BigDave

It is allowed in USPSA. Its an excellent flash supressor, if thats what your looking for. As far as recoil reduction, like a compensator, its a very poor choice.

I have one AR w/ a phantom and one w/ a JP Cooley comp. They both do an excellent job of doing what they were designed to do.

DSCF0573.jpg

I've only shot their .308 can. It was on a Armalite AR10. Really impresses with it. Taking the can on and off is easy and it worked really well. No ear protection necessary outside and cut muzzle lift and felt recoil by at least 60%. Only downside is that your poi will change if you want to run the rifle with the can on and off. YHM is located near me and I've been to their shop. Real good people. Some folks are put off by their lower prices, but the quality is there, IMHO. My Dept. plans on using their can for a .308 patrol rifle we will be fielding . Nick-

P.S. No, I don't work for them.

Dave,

Like Justin (stingerjg) said, the YHM Fantom is a decent flash supressor. However as a compensator it's not going to do the job. Look at the Rolling Thunder from Benny Hill, Bennie Cooley from JP or the SJC Titan. Either of those will work better as a comp, if that's what you're looking for.

If you're looking for a flash supressor, the Fantom does a good job.

Rich

I have a few different .223 cans.(YHM,2 AAC's, John's Guns) One being the YHM Phantom 556. Very good can for the money. Mine is the older version which is about 2-3 ounces heavier than the current ones. I personally would look at AAC(Advanced Armamnet). They are the best cans on the market. They have a new can called the M4-1000. Its priced to be competitive with the YHM. The AAC is quieter,lighter,and built better than the YHM can. YHM makes the QD mounts for AAC. But too answer your question......yes the YHM is a good can for the money. Not the quietest or lightest,but a good QD can that is welded. The most overpriced and over rated can on the market is the Surefire. SWR also makes good stuff.......their delivery times just suck. Polite Society has AAC in stock and ready to ship quickly.

I lusted after one or an ACC. I liked the fact the YHM screwed off and on leaving thier base comp/flash hider.

Have you checked over at silencertests.com??

Good info.

Id like one on my SBR but settled for a flaming hog from Noveske,,for now!