Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barsto And Reloads In My 23.

haze10

My new Barsto barrel in my G23 has great accuracy and the shell are coming out with little dimensional change. But my problem is getting my reloads to feed. I keep getting jams as the cartridge enters the chamber out of the magazine, 45 degree angle that jams an won't close until I pull back the slide a little by hand and let it go. I am shotting the 165Gr Rainers. I tried loading short but no help. Is anyone shooting with a barsto, and can you share you bullet type and LOA.

Do you get little "smilies" on the case? If so take a Dremel with a cratex tip and put a small radius on the bottom edge of the chamber.

OTOH I have never found a reason to buy an aftermarket barrel for a Glock. The stock Glock barrel will feed anything you throw at it. All of my competition Glocks will easily group under 1 1/2" at 25 yds.

Yes, I kept the original barrel and agree that it will chamber anything. But since I reload I want to keep my brass as long as possible with over stretching it and the any smileys I usually throw away. I just use the pistol for the range so thought it worth a try. I thought I was buying the 'best' barrel on the market, at least if you rate them by cost. The barrel is very accurate and I often get four or five bullet holes that look like a clover leave. But I am dissappoint on the feeding issue. I took a stone and broke the edge from the 10am to 2 pm position, but that didn't help much. I think Barsto could have engineered this better, maybe just a little more relief at the 6'o'clock position and may just a slightly larger chamber. I don't know if they all are like this, but maybe someone has found a solution in terms of bullet and LOA and or some minor dimensional changes.

Yes, I kept the original barrel and agree that it will chamber anything. But since I reload I want to keep my brass as long as possible with over stretching it and the any smileys I usually throw away. I just use the pistol for the range so thought it worth a try. I thought I was buying the 'best' barrel on the market, at least if you rate them by cost. The barrel is very accurate and I often get four or five bullet holes that look like a clover leave. But I am dissappoint on the feeding issue. I took a stone and broke the edge from the 10am to 2 pm position, but that didn't help much. I think Barsto could have engineered this better, maybe just a little more relief at the 6'o'clock position and may just a slightly larger chamber. I don't know if they all are like this, but maybe someone has found a solution in terms of bullet and LOA and or some minor dimensional changes.

Have you called and talked to Irv about it?

You are buying one of the best barrels. .40 brass is nasty by most standards and the bar-sto chamber has much tighter tolerances, even more so than the dillon case gauges. Try using Winchester brass, chamber check everything, use that barrel as your gauge. I load to standard length with my bar-sto in a G35, but I must have high QC with my brass. And I chamber check with that barrel as my gauge, it should make all the difference. Eveything that doesn't fit, well, be glad ya still have the stock tube!!

I am using the 650 press and have a LEE Factory Crimp Die on the final stage. Every cartridge I load will drop into the barrel chamber and bottom out just fine. The next thing I will try is to polish the ramp and the interior of the chamber, especially the top interior. Then I was thinking of load a round really long, no powder or primer, and see how it chambers. Then keep lowering the bullet in 0.005" increments. I'll have the slide back on its slide catch, and load one round in the mag, then release the slide catch lever. This is when it usually jams. I want to see if I can find a LOA that makes the jamming go away.

Any other ideas.

Might be a silly question as I don't know your background, did you remove your breakdown tab and MAYBE put it back in backwards?

Have a Jarvis in my G35, runs like a champ though the above scenario took some figuring out...