Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Are Hand-based Stages Always Biased In Favor Of Right-handers?

Seems like the "bad" ones are the doors that open towards the shooter, that require the shooter open and then sort of run "around" the door to get through, such that you have to cross your body w/ your weak arm to get it open. The door in my office at home is like that - the knob is on my weak side, and I have to pull it open from inside the office. One way to help even things out would be to use doors that you push open whenever possible, instead of pull open doors... Not always possible, but.... push doors seem to be slightly more neutral than pull doors....

It's like limiting revolver shooters to six, self inflicted punishment shoot with your other hand.. yes you can learn it's not that hard.. then soo much more gear will fit you so many stages will flow better... come on over to the "right" side. :)

seriously though. I like freestyle stages, but if we get too free. making everyone equal, i want holes to stand in... or take away BJ's box!

Most of the time on a club level it's a safetys sake thing.. most shooters are right handed so it's better to have 2 shooters at a disadvantage than the chance of 20 pointing guns at their friends and loved ones. (RO is considered loved one right?)

Please feel free to design some stages to challenge us rightys.

Okay I have to give you guys some points here on the doors.

Unless your using a revolving door, a door has to either open right or left and toward or away from the shooter.

That does lend itself to some hand bias which is unavoidable.

We can only set up what our club has in the way of props.

Here's a thought, Saloon Doors! Maybe the SASS Cowboy guys would loan us some of those double swinging doors?

My experience is that most doors open toward the shooter and the knob is on the right.

Seems to me this is an advantage to the Left Handers.

Are left handed shooters legal?

I think they are creating a provisional division for us!

Seriously, as a left handed shooter, its really rare when I cannot game/plan a pistol stage out that works for me. Sure, there is the occasional fault-line/barricade that sucks to shoot left around, but still, how often, in general do you find stages setup that cannot be shot left handed? I don't find it being a massive disadvantage having to move left to right. We should, as practical shooters, be comfortable moving any direction while shooting/reloading etc. Sure, I would rather move right to left, but I feel like I can move quickly and effectively in the opposite direction.

All that said, there are props out there which suck to manipulate as a lefty. Oh and all of the above does not apply in 3-gun. being opposite handed sucks when you are shooting long guns. If you want to move left to right, you have to switch hands or run backwards.

A well designed stage, and perhaps I am blessed that most local club stages are well designed, should give both handed types options.

Actually, when shooting pistol matches left handed, the most annoying thing is that you tend to go "against traffic" during the stage walkthrough. My squad mates are used to colliding with me on a regular basis during the rehearsal. :D