Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noobie Benelli Question

Leafy

I currently shoot a Rem 1100 at the couple local 3 gun matches I attend each year. It works just find but lately I've had the itch for a Benelli M2 Tactical Pistol Grip Stock Model. Is it legal to increase the magazine capacity by putting a longer tube on it? I seem to recall years back being told that since it has a pistol grip it can't have a mag extension. Did that all dissappear with the AWB expiration or as an imported firearm is it still under some restrictions? I realize with the 18.5" barrel I would be limiting myself in terms of a magazine extension length but I would still like to add a couple rounds if I could. Sorry for the dumb questions but I didn't readily find an answer when I did a search. Thanks!

Add all the mag tube you want, just because it sticks past the muzzle end, it won't hurt a thing. The AWB dying, did away with any restrictions, provided you don't live in any state with strict laws.

To be competitive, you should look into a 9-10 round, total capacity. I can highly recommend Nordic Components, for thier mag tubes.

Trapr

Oops! I was unaware that there was a restriction on mag capacity in shotgun. I thought that the restrictions mandated the maximum number of rounds that could be loaded in the tube, not the actual capacity of the tube. My understanding was ( wrongly perhaps) that the actual capacity didn't matter as long as you start with the maximum for your division and at no point in the match loaded more than the max capacity for your division.

I should have known that was too easy.

Mike

MikeP

You are correct in your assumption about mag capacity. Some matches call for ability to hold a max of 8 rounds in the tube for limited. Some outlaw matches call for shotgun loaded with 9 total rounds (8+1) at the start, then load as many as you want after that.

I run a Benelli M1S90 w/26" barrel and a 10 round Nordic Component tube under it. I put a two shot plug in when I need to limit it to a 8 round max. Weapon is a little longer than most people like but have just not gotten around to getting the barrel cut down.

As a side note, I had the M2 Tactical before switching to the M1S90. Seemed to have much more recoil to the shoulder w/pistol grip stock, and if I hung on tight I could shut the weapon down on demand. As much as I loved the pistol grip stock for loading weak hand, I am much happier with the straight stock now. Less felt recoil and I have not had a jam with the gun except with real light 7/8 oz. loads. Mine really likes the Federal Value packs at Walmart.

Mike

As a side note, I had the M2 Tactical before switching to the M1S90. Seemed to have much more recoil to the shoulder w/pistol grip stock, and if I hung on tight I could shut the weapon down on demand. As much as I loved the pistol grip stock for loading weak hand, I am much happier with the straight stock now. Less felt recoil and I have not had a jam with the gun except with real light 7/8 oz. loads. Mine really likes the Federal Value packs at Walmart.

I took the pistola grip off my Benelli, too, Brian. It never malfunctioned on me and I thought it helped out with the weak hand loading but I'm not so sure. I seem to do alright with the straight stock and the Nordic extension now. I just need to practice it a little more.

Are you and Tyler going to shoot the shotgun match at Harris on March 17th?