Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idaho State Championships

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, that was fun...for some!

It was a good match, well run.

Rich (Titan Driver), it was a pleasure meeting you.  Where do you get all that energy? I've never seen anybody run around like that at a match in 80+ degree heat!  Thanks!

I learned a few things at this match.  Pay attn to the course descriptions and listen during the walk through.

I finished a dismal 12th of 44 Limited shooters (2 GM's 5 M's).  I would've finished much better if it weren't for the 300 PENALTY POINTS I accumulated over the 14 stages!  110 penalty points on one stage alone!!  (again pay attn to the walk through)

The results are here: http://isps.home.mindspring.com/statematch02.htm

Tom --- I'm only runnin' to try to get ahead of the fast young guns like yourself! There was never any doubt when you were shooting, it was just one continuous "brrrrrrrrrrrrp", slight pause to the next shooting position then another "brrrrrrrp"!! It was great meeting you, keep that glock goin' full auto!

I "only" had 120 penalty points, guess I won't be doin' as much runnin' next year! Probably won't work it either, at least not as much.

Thanks for coming, hope your wife enjoyed the Boise area.

Guys...I really like to dig thru scores...see if I can figure out what the stage may have been like...see who hosed it, see who shot it clean, see which way scored better...

But, man...it pained me to go thru and see those penalties.  What's the scoop?  

Flex --- no scoop here, I shot like a moron on a couple of stages! Ironically, I blew the first stage each day (1 & 8  I think). Happens when you do a lot of the planning, set up & working the match. I did manage to finish 3rd overall in Open. I hammered a few stages and a few stages hammered me back!

Gonna do better in Reno this weekend. Well, I was until I heard JJ's comin', gotta get out my track shoes!

Titan..

looks like a good match...man.you and them penalties...

A lot names I remember...wish I could of made it...So how is old Dennis Bauer...wondering where he disappeared to..

later...good luck in Reno..

At the end of the first day, there was an approximate total points value of 850.  I had 220 penality points.

On one stage, you had to engage 3 different arrays of targets.  Before you engaged each array, the table in front of that array had sticks of dynamite on it that you had to place into a bucket under the table before you started shooting.  If the dynamite bounced off the lip of the bucket and landed on the ground without going in the bucket, you will be assessed one procedural penalty for each shot fired.  I managed 80 penalties on that stage.

Another stage had a 3 foot high wall with several targets behind it.  There were ports in the wall.  The stage description read "Engage targets as visible" but did NOT say shoot through ports only.  Well I recieved 110 penalty points because I didn't listen to the walk through when they said that the 3 foot high wall extended to the sky.  I wasn't allowed to shoot over the wall even though the targets were visible.  MY fault.

I just wish someone would have noticed me dry firing the targets over the wall during the several walkthroughs I did before I shot the stage  Hmmm...

I'll tell you what, I was ready to leave after that first day.

But I calmed down over a few Sam Adams Boston Lagers that night, and told myself to get back in that saddle for the next day.

Overall, it was a very good learning experience.

This being my second "big" match (2001 Area 1 being the other), I learned that clubs in different geographical areas don't set-up the stages like my local clubs do!

I learned that I need to listen very carefully to the details of the stages and that I cannot assume that a stage can be shot the way I'm *used* to shooting a stage.

Quite the eye-opener.  Just the kind of humbling experience I need before the Race Gun Nationals.

I'm glad I went to Idaho. I've become a better shooter for doing so poorly there (if that makes sense)

Tom --- you are certainly correct about regional differences on set up. You jogged my memory and one thing I didn't do when giving the walk-through on my stage was to repeat my favorite phrase about the walls (or vision barriers): "they extend to the gates of Heaven and the bowels of Hell".  It was covered by the MD on the first stage about how far they extended & I simply forgot to reiterate on my walk-through. I'm really sorry about that!

In thinking about the dynamite stage, in reality, you were penalized multiple times for the same offense --- failing to put the sticks in the bucket. I realize why the penalties are so severe (per each shot fired) but I don't like it cuz it ain't got nothin' to do with shooting.

See ya in Medford & Bend!

Oh yeah, I measured the wall, it was four feet six inches tall.

(Edited by titandriver at 9:08 am on May 30, 2002)

Nobody needs to be sorry but me!

It seems that I was the only one of over 100 shooters that did that.........

(Edited by TDean at 9:32 am on May 30, 2002)