Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2007 Mississippi Classic - Level 3 State Championship

Mark your calendars, the 2007 Mississippi Classic will take place on May 19th - 20th at the Magnolia Rifle and Pistol Club Range just outside Jackson, MS. This match will be a Level III State Championship match featuring 10 stages, 250+ rounds, cash payout, plaques, and a full prize table. Once again, both Juniors and Ladies shoot for half price. RO's and limited shoot-thru's will shoot on the 18th. The final details are still being hammered out but you can get applications, hotel information, and all the latest updates from the match website at:

http://www.teammagnolia.com/classic/

This year's match will feature more stages, more shooting, more RO's, more sponsors, more cash and prizes on the table, and I'm hoping more shooters in every division.

Hope to see all of you there,

John Heiter

Edited by John Heiter

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

G+16

Check on the following link to Swinging Bridge RV Park, www.rvresort.net. The range is near the swinging bridge. I know nothing about the park but will try to take a look at it the next time I am near the range.

Bill

Tha RV park has Broadband Internet

Hi Mike,

I'll offer a few options to anyone interested in the RV route:

1. The Swinging Bridge RV Park that Glenn and Bill mentioned seems pretty nice. I rode through to look it over last year when I had a couple shooters ask about it and it seemed like a nice, well kept place and it's less than five minutes from the range. Seemed to be a lot of long term residents.

2. If you want someplace really nice, try booking a camp site at Lefleur's Bluff State Park. They have developed camping, cabins, and primitive camp sites in place around some nice little lakes in a 300 acres of woods right in the heart of Jackson about 15-20 minutes from the range.

3. If your rig is "self supporting" and you are so inclined, you're welcome to park it at the range for the duration. Just be sure to let me know you're doing it so we don't lock you in at night w/ no way to get out.

Hope that helps.

John

3. If your rig is "self supporting" and you are so inclined, you're welcome to park it at the range for the duration. Just be sure to let me know you're doing it so we don't lock you in at night w/ no way to get out.
What a guy...WHAT A GUY!

Mike:

The particular page for the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks website pertaining to parks is http://mississippistateparks.reserveamerica.com/. LeFluer's Bluff is near my house and it is about 20 minutes from the range. Easy on/off from the interstate. LeFluer's Bluff is closer to the match hotel. I will try and swing by LeFluer's Bluff and report.

Hi Gang,

Need to provide a quick update on our "Match Hotel" situation.

I got an e-mail on Sunday night from a competitor who told me he had tried to book a room in our reserved block at our match hotel twice but had been told both times that the block did not exist. I thought that was strange since I set up the block myself two months ago so I called and tried to book one myself. Actually, I called to "book" a room three times that night and the next morning and was given a different story each time I called. I was given three different rates, was told two out of three times that our block didn't exist, and was even told that in order to qualify for the block rate that I would need to remember to request a rate change at checkout.

After all that I spoke to the hotel manager who informed me that

* The hotel was sold to new owners after our match last year

* The rate I was given when I booked our block was not one they could honor

* The rate I was given last year for our block was not (most likely) honored then

* That she had inexperienced desk clerks who didn't always know how to look up event codes

Based on all that, I felt we had no choice but to move our event to a new location so I have just finalized arrangements with the Cabot Lodge North in Jackson. It is basically the same distance from the range and the North Jackson area offers many more options for dining, shopping, entertainment, etc. as well as the additional ammenities of the hotel itself such as continental breakfast and a hospitality reception (free cocktails) at night.

There are plenty of other hotels in the area, and even a couple motels closer to the range, but the Cabot seemed the best choice for quality rooms at a fair price in a safe location and as this is our first year with them I'm hoping most of our competitors will support them and the match by booking rooms there. I'll be contacting those competitors who have already booked at the old hotel to let them know but please help me spread the word about the change.

Thanks,

John Heiter

2007 Mississippi Classic

Match Director

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with the asst. mgr. with Jameson Inn tonight. He said that they will honor the $65.00 a night rate. When you check in Fri. it will show $70.00 but he will be there Sat. morning to fix it. His name is Mark.

Hi Guys,

Feel free to stay at the Jameson if you want to but just an FYI -

I have spoken to both Mark and Donna as they are the people I have dealt with for the last four years at the Jameson. Donna (the day mgr.) says that there is no way Mark should have quoted us $65 and that the best she could do was $72 which was their government rate and that she wasn't supposed to do that. Like I said, between the rate mixups and the confusion over even having the block at all, I felt like it was worth an extra $8 to move to the Cabot. It is about four miles further away from the range than the Jameson but the Jameson is not exactly next door either. Unfortunately, there just aren't that many good places to choose from close to the range.

The Cabot is a nicer place, has better ammenities, and has much better dining, shopping, etc. around it. They are also setting us up with a meeting room for both Friday and Saturday nights. We'll use it for registration on Friday night and then on Saturday night the room will serve as a shooter's hospitality room. A bunch of the guys got together last year on Saturday night to watch the videos thay had taken during the match and had a pretty good time doing it so we went ahead and reserved a room and television this year so they can do it again. All shooter's are welcome.

We had our first work night at the range last night to start getting things ready for the match and it looks like things are really coming together well so I'm starting to get excited about it. Looking forward to seeing everyone in about eight weeks.

John

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I'll go out on a limb for the second time tonight.

I have spoken with a new vendor, (actually not new, he was who we had when Greg was the MD) and he is set up to be there on the afternoon of the 18th and be ready to serve coffee and biscuits at 7:30 on the 19th with lunch starting around 11ish. He will also be there with coffee and biscuits on the 20th and lunch. I have faith in this guy, since he does all the events around Jackson as well as the state fair every year and he will be in Taladega later this month. He knows what he is doing. I hope everyone will support him and eat there rather than going off range.

(Insert fingers crossed here that I have not overloaded my mocking bird butt with my alligator mouth and misplaced faith.)

See you guys at the Classic.

PAT