Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S & J Custom Open Gun

Rather-B-Huntin

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Rich

Can you elaborate for me? Not that Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet doesn't pretty well answer my question, but can you break it down just a bit? How is the function, fit, finish, and what can I expect for longevity (how many rounds should I be able to get out of one before needing to start replacing stuff? I've been told by those in the know that a good 1911 Open gun can last 100,000 rounds).

Thanks!

Edited by Rather-B-Huntin

For starters I'm not a Glock fan in any way. I have 2 but they were impulse/necessity buys. Anyways.

The SJC's are awesome in fit and finish. They shoot VERY flat and the trigger pulls make you think you're shooting a 1911 (almost). Accuracy, reliability and every other y-ending attribute it more than satisfies.

It's great that Glock shooters now have a TRUE Open gun platform that they can turn to. Heck, I'm considering getting one for steel/GSSF matches.

As for when stuff will wear out. Well, with Glocks from what I can gather it's still a Glock and so longevity is great. Know how to tinker with it 'cause you'll probably be changing trigger springs and other little springs here and there. Other than though, shouldn't be a problem.

Rich

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Rich

Can you elaborate for me? Not that Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet doesn't pretty well answer my question, but can you break it down just a bit? How is the function, fit, finish, and what can I expect for longevity (how many rounds should I be able to get out of one before needing to start replacing stuff? I've been told by those in the know that a good 1911 Open gun can last 100,000 rounds).

Thanks!

Both my wife & I have S&J Custom Open guns. My wife's gun has 30,000 rounds & the only thing I've replaced is the recoil spring. I bought my gun 8 months later an I have about 20,000 in mine. Read my review "Christmas Came Early for my Wife"

Review

Edited by TruStreet

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Rich

Thanks!

I got mine in Jan. great shooter. Brand new to open class, and a dyed in the wool glock lover, so the S&J was an obvious choice.

One of the better open shooters here in Maine watched me shoot it at one of the Smith and Wesson indoor matches a few weeks ago. He made a point to tell me that he was impressed with the comp and that the thing did not appear to recoil. (it doesn't). Needless to say I think he was impressed with the function of the gun.

I have put about 3K round through it and it works great. I keep my OAL to 1.145 and it feeds fine, even in the 29 round 170mm mags. A sub 3 lb. trigger, very short reset, and the slide "tightening" that they do is very noticeable.

The custom stippled grip work is very comfortable as well.

A great shooter that shoots cheap 9mm range brass all day long.

I think (I could be wrong, so don't hold it against me :D ) that Julie G. shot one of his first built guns last year or the year before at Steel Challenge. I think she did very well in that match (I think she won her division or something like that).

John N. (Mad Scientist) over at SJC is a great guy and will talk to you about anything you need.

Edited by GlockSpeed31