Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I didn't have to arbitrate anything, so that trip to the cash machine was all for naught.

How hot was it? Matt Burkett was whining, and he's from freaking Arizona!

Most of the stages didn't flow and you couldn't get into a rhythm... they felt real choppy. I think the classifier (Merle's Standards, long target freestyle, medium target strong hand, medium target weak hand) and the Wall of Voodoo (also free, strong, weak) doomed a bunch of people and decided a lot of the classes, if not the division overalls. They were the only stages with a good rhythm. The BBQ stage was OK in that respect though.

There were too many port stages for me, but one of them (Great Wall of Ione?) was pretty good for an all-ports stage. The windows were just big enough and the target spacing was such that I was tempted to shoot on the move from a distance. It could shot a few different ways. In the end, I ran up close to each port. I saw Burkett take one or two of the ports on the move for a good run.

Kind of an unusual match for me. I cranked up the speed a little bit but I still couldn't match my nemesis on the field courses. I shot more Ds than I've shot all year. I had one miss weak hand on Merle's, and one on Voodoo, weak again.

Of course, with all the swingers, I'm bound to shoot Ds. (Is there anything more pathetic than a Master shooting 4-point targets?) I did manage to shoot two As on one swinger, because it was one of those that you activated as you came to it.

Oh yeah, I ran my gun dry again... on the last target of my last stage. I took two shots at the fast, partial swinger, didn't like it, took another, didn't like it, cranked off a couple more. Unloaded and showed clear, nothing in the mag, nothing in the chamber. Multiple hits on target. It was a stage winning time before the extra shots. :(

One thing about open squadding I hadn't really noticed before was it's hard to get a decent walkthrough. And I don't know why it was necessary for all/most of the ROs to shoot through Saturday morning. It really sucked to keep getting bumped down the list. Oh yeah, and people started slacking off tape/steel duties in hot weather. You've really got to crack the whip to get them out of the shade.

Thanks to all the ROs who sweated out half-day or full-day sessions in the heat.

Erik was 3rd overall Limited - 1st Master.  Good job!!!

I ended up 3rd C - and I freakin zeroed a 120 pt stage (and no - there wasn't only 3 people in the class :))

David won B Class Open

They called Dan Austin and Austin Hemphill for placing, but I didn't hear what they got!

And Burkett won Open.

I think that's all the forum people that I know of!

David better shoot that foo-foo gun only in practice so he can stay in B class through the Race Gun Nats.

If Kathy ever sees Merle (of Merle's Standards fame), I think she'll kick him in the shins. Two words, Kathy: trigger control.

Woo-hoo, 1st M means I get a slot right? I would've rather had the section champion cash, but I'll take what I can get.

The results are up on the USPSA site as well as the Sacramento action pistol page.

Merle's cost me a couple palces as well, as did not seating a mag (twice) on the first stage of the day....I believe it was on Closing Time.......

Breakfast the hard way didn't help any either........

Well for my first major match I guess I did OK for completely dumping 3 of the stages.......5th of 21 in the L10 overall and was second of many C shooters ...........if they had only split the division by class............

I am not sure how "Scooter" ended up........

Well probably see you guys at the Solano match in a couple weeks.......

Laters,

gr

(Edited by kahana at 7:42 pm on July 2, 2002)

The hottest match i have ever been to ,the sweat was just runnin offa me.

Took 4 extra shots on all those swingers and bobber on the breakfast stage only needed 1 of them....gotta call them shots better.

Won the classifier so maybe they can quit calling me a flood control expert (sandbagger)

Had a mag collapse on the second to the last stage and i was so pissed that i promptly trashed the next one. Fortunately the last stage fadeout didnt appear to affect my  placing for the match . ( i'm gonna call beven)

All in all not a bad weekend. 2nd A open and 4th overall

James