Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM Accuracy

Lee Watne

Lee,

I just got a Bar-Sto barrel fitted and tested by Bar-Sto.  When I talked to Irv Stone, he recommended just using Wally World Win 9mm in the bulk packs for bench testing.  

But what one gun might like another won't.  I'm fortunate, both my 9mm barrels like the same handload.

I have tried the Winchester white box ammo. along with a number of other brands. Obviously I have an accuracy concern with my 1911 9MM. It groups about five to six inches at twenty five yards. I guess that's good enough, and shooting groups over bags isn't the reason I have the gun, but would like to see better accuracy. Technique wise, at the same session I got inch and under with my race gun and around two inches with my 45's. It's a factory produced pistol so maybe I need to throw some money at it for a new custom barrel.

Hi Lee and Welcome. I agree w/ Flex on this, take another look at the book; Brian makes it clear that your 1911 has to group under 3" at 50 yards, not 25.  You will not be able to compete w/ the accuracy you describe (5 to 6 in. @25 yards).  W/ that accuracy, you would be hard pressed to keep all your shots inside the A zone @ 25 no matter how slow you shot. How do you expect to hit alphas when the targets are out to 40 yards or more? Moreover, shooting minor, you will need as many A's as you can get.  

Sounds like you gun may need some work.  Is it a bushing gun? You might consider a bull barrel installed by a competent smith.  Please send us some more info.  Always happy to help. DVC

Thanks for all the info. I will test these types of ammo out as soon as I can. I was looking for some accurate factory ammo before I invested in the conversion kit and dies for my 550. I'm not completely sold on the 9MM 1911 yet. The case tapers so much that I feel it will cause reliability problems, even with a ramped barrel as mine has. If I reload, I might as well go to the 9 Super Comp. or 38 Super with a new more accurate barrel.

Hi again Lee - you might be able to have a gunsmith ream the 9mm barrel you have to 9 Supercomp/ 9x23 and simply switch magazines; the 1911 frame has ample room for the longer OAL.

Accuracy is another issue, however. Can you tell us more about your gun's setup?