Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideas For Building Falling Plates

Given that I intend to use these plates for practice I posted my query here. I want to build a plate rack for practice but due to weight and transportation problems I want to build individual plates on steel rods that reset when shot. My thoughts are along the lines of a pendulum effect where the plate is shot, swings back and down and a weighted pendulum causes the plate to stand back up. Anybody seen plates like this? Pictures?

CYa,

Pat

One of our local clubs has racks of 3 plates....on legs. They are still pretty heavy, but that might help you transport them easier.

You can set these plates up regular style...they kinda lean forward a bit and rest against a stop. When knocked down, they can swing about 270 degrees. So, when they come to rest, they are hanging down like a pendulum. You can keep shooting them all day without having to reset.

Thanks for the replies! The idea of hanging plates is interesting. Could be setup in a gang of three using a target base as the stand and steel rods as supports. Food for thought! I'm toying with the idea of buying a small trailer that I can put practice equipment on and tow to the range to setup. Then I am not loading and unloading equipment or carrying it around all the time in my truck.

Thanks again,

Pat

You can build something that's man-portable, or you can build something that's going withstand the pounding. Pretty tough to do both. Three of us locally either built or bought plate rack trailers. (2 built, one bought from MGM)

Given that I intend to use these plates for practice I posted my query here. I want to build a plate rack for practice but due to weight and transportation problems I want to build individual plates on steel rods that reset when shot. My thoughts are along the lines of a pendulum effect where the plate is shot, swings back and down and a weighted pendulum causes the plate to stand back up. Anybody seen plates like this? Pictures?

CYa,

Pat

Pat, try http://www.parmarng.org/freeidaho/default.html , which is a website for my ramblings in metal. Once you get past the initial screen look for Collapsable Plate Holder on the left hand side. Maybe you can satisfy your need with these light weight, collapsable, plate holders. The plates do move quite a bit when you hit them, but they do not fold down like a plate rack. They are always reset, and ready to go, which means you can practice your double taps on them too!

Good Luck ! ! !

Ken Reed