Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting From A Rest/supported Position

Gumby

I read in Brian's book that shooting from a rest is useful for improving accuracy... I'd like to understand how this is useful for improving accuracy. My only guess is that it eliminates variables, like movement in all parts of the body other than the trigger finger (and possibly wrist as well) which allows a shooter to focus more on sight picture and trigger control. Any insight on this?

My only guess is that it eliminates variables, like movement in all parts of the body other than the trigger finger (and possibly wrist as well) which allows a shooter to focus more on sight picture and trigger control. Any insight on this?

You got it. It allows you to totally focus on reset, press, follow through........

Rinse, lather, repeat

I like to start my practice time with about 10 - 20 rounds off a rested position. The thing it has always done for me is show me just how accurate the gun / load are. I would hate to practice with a gun that wasn't sighted properly or had a promlem that affected accuracy. Kinda like a calibration test.

I know the gun is accurate so I know my practice will be good. If I'm missing, it's me not the gun. It would suck to be calling "A"'s and getting "C"'s and wondering WTF is going on when all the time the gun is off 4 inched because ????.

Because I have very limited range time I'm trying to work out a routine... exercises that are good for improving technique and can also be quantitative for measuring improvements.

I think I'll put shooting from a support position at the beginning of my routine.

I read in Brian's book that shooting from a rest is useful for improving accuracy... I'd like to understand how this is useful for improving accuracy. My only guess is that it eliminates variables, like movement in all parts of the body other than the trigger finger (and possibly wrist as well) which allows a shooter to focus more on sight picture and trigger control. Any insight on this?

That's it. It's the best way to learn, understand, and build upon the fundamentals.

Because I have very limited range time I'm trying to work out a routine... exercises that are good for improving technique and can also be quantitative for measuring improvements.

I think I'll put shooting from a support position at the beginning of my routine.

I liked to open and close every practice session with accuracy drills. But if you don't have time for that, once is way better than not at all.

be

Shooting from a rest is the easiest place to learn when the bullet is going to hit when the sights are not properly aligned. Move the front sight blade around in the rear notch to se how much this affects bullet impact. Work on the basics of sight alignment, sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeze & follow through. Every thing can be perfect until the last step and lack of follow through can ruin the whole shot. Something to do with pressure change on the grip as the finger moves.

Try this an an exercise; place your shooting arm out in front of you at shoulder height, lever your wrist forward so you can just only see the top of your index finger, now close your thumb down & touch your second lighly so you can just feel it, leave your ring & pinky finger sort of hang in free space, now use your index finger to trigger a shot. Most people have sympathetic movement in the ring & pinky finger which effects how the bullet leaves the barrel from shot to shot because of grip pressure. Learn to maintain the same grip pressure, strong or soft, for each shot. Practice the exercise for 15 minutes before firing the first shot. Last step hold the trigger squeeze for a count of one thousand one for the next 10,00 shots to ingrain muscle memory.

It helps you ensure your gun is sighted in properly and helps teach you how to align them properly when shooting. You identified what I consider to be the most important thing, trigger control.

Lee