Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New To Me 650

Just picked up a used 650 and have a couple questions I couldn't get answered in search. The first is how does one identify the shellpates for specific calibers? I have 3 shellplates and the only markings on them is a 1, 2 and 5.

Second, using the taller strong mount, what is the maximum distance from the front edge of the bench you can mount the press without the handle hitting the table on the downstroke? I've seen many images in the Reloading Bench thread where people have had to cut a notch after mounting too far back.

If anybody has a pic they can post of the press with the handle fully down that would be helpful too.

Thanks,

Angel

The numers relate to the calibers, it would be on a chart in your users manual. Starts on page 46. What caliber are you reloading for?

some sizes for the shellplates are:

#1 45 acp, 308 win, 30-06, 22-25, .243 win/6mm, .270 win

#2 .256 win mag, .22 rim jet

#5 9mm, .38 super, 9x21, .30 luger/mauser

My 650 strong mount is mounted exactly 1 1/4" from the front of the mount to the edge of my table with about an 1/8"-1/4" space between the handle and table corner in the full down position.

Edited by SSDriver

You can download a manual from Dillon's website for each press. In the back is the chart identifying which part goes to what caliber (Shellplate, station pins, etc.).

As for the strong mount distance, there's an overlay in the same manual for the press mounting on to a table, but not sure with the strong mounts. I have strong mounts on my 650 and just mounted it near flush with the edge of the bench if memory serves me right. I use washers above and below just distribute some of the force, but no handle contact with the bench at all. When in doubt, bolt the strong mount to the 650 and then slide the thing around with the handle down to find the sweet spot.

Rich

The numers relate to the calibers, it would be on a chart in your users manual. Starts on page 46. What caliber are you reloading for?

some sizes for the shellplates are:

#1 45 acp, 308 win, 30-06, 22-25, .243 win/6mm, .270 win

#2 .256 win mag, .22 rim jet

#5 9mm, .38 super, 9x21, .30 luger/mauser

My 650 strong mount is mounted exactly 1 1/4" from the front of the mount to the edge of my table with about an 1/8"-1/4" space between the handle and table corner in the full down position.

Thanks for the reply. Is that the 650 Only Strong Mount you're using or the 550/650?

Angel

With regard to the mounting dimensions, why not put it on the strong mount, depress the handle and position it so the handle has at least a 1/4" clearance?

Well I will do that but as I'm constructing the bench now I wanted some info in advance. If the mount needed to be flush with the edge then I would need to leave an overhang of some dimension to bolt the mount through. The bench I'm constructing has a double 2x4 front rail along the top. If I didn't leave an overhang then I would have to mount the press 3" back from the edge or lag screw into the double 2x4 which I would be concerned would crack under the stress of operating the press. Not as complex as it may sound but just needed a little foresight.

Angel

With regard to the mounting dimensions, why not put it on the strong mount, depress the handle and position it so the handle has at least a 1/4" clearance?

Well I will do that but as I'm constructing the bench now I wanted some info in advance. If the mount needed to be flush with the edge then I would need to leave an overhang of some dimension to bolt the mount through. The bench I'm constructing has a double 2x4 front rail along the top. If I didn't leave an overhang then I would have to mount the press 3" back from the edge or lag screw into the double 2x4 which I would be concerned would crack under the stress of operating the press. Not as complex as it may sound but just needed a little foresight.

Angel

I'm currently building a bench, but its going to be more like a cabinet and finished completly in cherry. My front edge also has double 2x4's I am going to put a LONG bolt all the way through the 2x4's. I would not lag it.

Ok an update. The bench is built and with a 550/650 strong mount I was able to mount the press 2 inches from the front edge with plenty of clearance for the handle on the downstroke. I'll try and post pics soon.

Now on to some other questions if I may expand on this thread. The strong mount came with a cartridge chute but when I mount this on this 650 it interferes with the spent primer cup and it doesn't look as if it would catch a round consistently from its position. Is this chute designed more for the 550?

Next, the press is an older model and has the older casefeeder I'm guessing. When I first turned it on it wouldn't run. On exam I noticed some wires not connected in the clear housing. I connected them where I thought they went and it ran but it seems to stop every second or two. Should it run when empty? and what direction should it be turning when looking into the bin? Clockwise or counter-clockwise? Lastly did the older casefeeder not have the micro-switch along the tube because I don't see one in the stuff I got?

I also don't see this Fail-Safe Rod I see mentioned on here. My Powder measures all have this spring that wraps around them. I gather those are the "old school" measures. Is there an upgrade I should make on these or do these still work fine.

Thanks for the help all.

Angel

Casefeeder turns clockwise as you stare down from the top. It keeps turning even when empty. A microswitch at the top should stop the feeder when the cases reach the top of the tube and push the switch in.

So I guess its safe to say that there is something wrong if mine is stopping like it is. I can get it going again with a little push but I imagine it shouldn't be that way.

Angel

It's not clear whether or not you got a manual with this press. You can download one, as suggested above, or if you just call Dillon, I'll bet they send you one free. That happened with a riding mower I bought. When I called about a part, and they found out I didn't have a manual, they sent one right away. The manual is an indispensable accessory for the 650. Dillon publishes an excellent manual, to go along with their excellent 650, and you need to read & study that manual. The 650 is a great machine, but it's not particularly simple, and the caliber changes are complex. Good luck with your new Dillon!