Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broke My Charging Handle

gringop

I broke my charging handle today while lubing the bolt carrier and hand cycling. It broke right at the front

Model1Sales upper.

I know about the steel charging handles at Brownells but they are $50+ and out of stock right now. I may get one in the future.

Here is my question. Being a lefty, I use the charging handle to drop the bolt during reloads and never use the bolt release button. Could this have contributed to the stress on my charging handle? I was working on my reloads today at the range.

Has anyone else broken their charging handle under normal usage ( not clearing a stuck case)?

Thanks, Gringop

I'm a righty and my Model 1 CH broke in the same place as yours - after a lot of use, I might add, but this could point to this brand being second rate. I replaced it with a Gas Buster CH, which is built like a brick privy. Of course, being a lefty you do not want the Gas Buster... for you it would be a "Gas Enhancer".

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Working the charging handle in a hurry can definitely torrque it out of alignment under stress. This could then cause cracks/fractures that can result in failure of the part. I ONLY use the charging handle if the bolt is forward and I need to charge the gun. When I reload from bolt lock, it's a slap on the bolt release for me. It's way faster to do this while on the clock than to work the charging handle. The bolt release is right above where your weak hand is after seating the new mag, why not use it to drop the bolt as it moves past this area on the way back to the handguards. Much more effecient from a total movement standpoint.

The absolute nicest bolt handle for an AR has to be the new one Paul at MSTN has out. I saw one at the USMG in Albany and it's not only trick, but is the most robust charging handle I have ever seen. Worth looking into if you are in the market for a new one.

Everybody's charging handle is about the same save Paul's or the steel ones. Like George and Russell are saying it's much, much faster to charge the rifle with the bolt release, except for a bolt closed situation.

I have a Model 1 upper and beat the piss out of it. No problems with it, but then I've also broken the infamous bolts from Colt.

Rich