Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Strikes On G35

Mr. Chitlin

I have been running a G35 since they first came out. Last fall, I started having a light strike every once in a while, usually maybe 1 per match. I haven't shot since early December, and yesterday shot my first match of the year. I had 5 light strikes in 4 stages. I cleaned the striker channel last fall when this started, but it is getting worse. Do you think I might be getting a weak striker spring?? Any other ideas?? The primer has just a small dimple on it, every one of them will fire the second time through.

I am using me same load as I have for years, nothing has changed on the press.

Could be a weak striker spring. Is it stock? I haven't seen a factory striker spring

fail yet, but I have seen 3 or 4 aftermarket light striker springs go bad.

It sounds more like it is firing slightly out of battery.

I would look very closely at your recoil spring. Weak spring, grooved/chipped/broken

guide rod are possibilities. Give the gun the muzzle up recoil spring test. Point it

up, pull the trigger. Keep the trigger back, and rack the slide. SLOWLY let the slide

forward. Does it go completely into battery?

Bill

How often do you change out your springs? The do wear out eventually....... get into a routine of replacing them every so often ( say once a year or pick a round count ) and stick with it. I just replaced my recoil spring after noticing I could SHAKE my gun in and out of battery yesterday. Gotta watch these things!!

-Mike

Could be a weak striker spring. Is it stock? I haven't seen a factory striker spring

fail yet, but I have seen 3 or 4 aftermarket light striker springs go bad.

I did replace the striker spring and the recoil spring last year at the start of the shooting season. I put a 15lb non captured spring in it. Not sure about the striker spring, it was just a replacement part that I got from Top Glock at the same time I got the recoil spring.

It sounds more like it is firing slightly out of battery.

I would look very closely at your recoil spring. Weak spring, grooved/chipped/broken

guide rod are possibilities. Give the gun the muzzle up recoil spring test. Point it

up, pull the trigger. Keep the trigger back, and rack the slide. SLOWLY let the slide

forward. Does it go completely into battery?

Bill

Passed this test with flying colors. It goes into battery with no hesitation.

It's ironic that I replaced the springs as a preventative maintenance, and that might be my problem. I saved the old springs, so I will put the original factory striker spring back in. I wasn't having any problems, just had always read to replace the springs. Up until last spring, everything in the gun was factory original, and I don't recall it ever missing a beat. Go figure... :rolleyes:

If the second strike fires it, high primers are surely the most likely cause. Run off 100 rounds, then do a close inspection for primers that aren't below flush.

H.

I won't guarantee that is the problem, but I look every round over before they go into the ammo box. I try to check primers real close.

I'll double check 'em, though.

Could be the primers: CCI primers are the LEAST reliable in Glocks. The most reliable primers are Federal - which is all I use in my Glocks and S&W revolvers (all are competition guns). Federal should cure your problems.

Even worse than CCI are some US Military primers - I had a light strike on some military ball w/ a brand new, 100% stock unmodified Glock at a GSSF in 2005. I am sold on Federal brand for reliability.

Could be the primers: CCI primers are the LEAST reliable in Glocks. The most reliable primers are Federal - which is all I use in my Glocks and S&W revolvers (all are competition guns). Federal should cure your problems.

Even worse than CCI are some US Military primers - I had a light strike on some military ball w/ a brand new, 100% stock unmodified Glock at a GSSF in 2005. I am sold on Federal brand for reliability.

Been having a few light strikes lately with my G19. I replaced the firing pin spring, and I always keep the pin channel clean and dry. My local Glock armorer said the problem was the channel liner. He replaced it, but I had one FTF today (in 250 rounds). I'm using Federal ammo. :(

Chuck

I was getting the same problems, changed all the springs the channel liner no help, then one day somebody on this form suggested I look at the striker. And low and behold that’s what it was a small chip on the tip of the striker changed it and not a problem since.

-Robert

Thanks for the notes. I put the original factory striker spring back in this afternoon and will take it to the range and put a few hundred rounds through it next weekend. I looked the striker over and didn't see anything wrong with it.

As for the ammo, I use Winchester primers, and up until this started had never had a light strike problem with them.

Anyway, I'll see what happens.

I swipe a feeler gage over the head of my reloaded ammo to make sure the primers are seated at least flush. The feelers are just a convenient straight edge.

+1 on checking the striker. If you have an overtravel stop set for too short of a trigger pull, the safety plunger may not get out of the way of the striker, and you end up raising a burr.

I swipe a feeler gage over the head of my reloaded ammo to make sure the primers are seated at least flush. The feelers are just a convenient straight edge.

+1 on checking the striker. If you have an overtravel stop set for too short of a trigger pull, the safety plunger may not get out of the way of the striker, and you end up raising a burr.

I have had the same problems....Federal primers fixed it right away!