Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w 5906

Boater

Thanks for the info. I have a 5906 but have not heard much about them used in competition. Not sure why. Is it the accuracy or ease of handling?

I think it has more to do with the fact that they are nothing like a 1911... They are fine weapons... The only problem I have with my 915, is the safety.... You have to flip it UP to fire :blink: .... Kinda.... ok, realy awkward. With the right ammo, they can be tack drivers.

Billy

I purchased one of the factory demo 5906's from CDNN a while back. It's a great gun and very reliable. I have used it in the local IDPA and IPSC matches. It's not quite as accurate as my Po18-9 or Sig 226 Sport at the longer distances but more than adequate.

However if you are used to using a 1911 type then youn have to re-learn the position of the safety which is on the slide - no real problem

Edited by TonyT

Whats the difference between the 5906 and the 910? They look the same to me but there is a big price difference.

The 910/915 (910 is the same weapon, but was sold after the stupid 10rnd mag ban.) is an aluminum Frame weapon.... I think (could be wrong...) that the 5906 is all steel.... Also, I believe the 5906 is SA.... the 910/915 is DA....

Please corect me if i'm wrong (probably am about the 5906...)

Billy

B)

Whats the difference between the 5906 and the 910? They look the same to me but there is a big price difference.

The 910/915 (910 is the same weapon, but was sold after the stupid 10rnd mag ban.) is an aluminum Frame weapon.... I think (could be wrong...) that the 5906 is all steel.... Also, I believe the 5906 is SA.... the 910/915 is DA....

Please corect me if i'm wrong (probably am about the 5906...)

Billy

B)

5906 is both DA and SA

I shoot a 5906 in production, like TonyT it was a factory demo gun from cdnn.

IMHO you don't see them much in matches because the 1st and 2nd gen smith autos have a well deserved bad reputation. S&W with their 3rd gen guns, did a redesign and refinement of their existing design and came out with a winner, plus they don't have the tacti-cool factor of a glock, sig, hk etc. thats also the same reason you don't see them much in the movies.

mine has been shot a bunch and has never jammed. totally reliable since I got it.

the 910/915 are the economy versions of the 5906, cosmeticly, the 910 are blockier in appearance than the 5906, and the ones I've seen have plastic sight.

the pro of the 5906 are

steel frame, help soak up the massive recoil of the 9mm load :P

except for the safety, all the controls are in the same place as a 1911. in LE classes, the smith academy instructors always called it a de-cocker, and it was only referred to as a safety for civilians.

great DA trigger for a factory gun, very similar to a smith DA revolver trigger pull

very short SA trigger re-set, very similar to a 1911 trigger re-set

great egronomics, with the 3rd gen redesign, they took a gun that felt like a 2x2, cut out the back strap, and replaced it with a 1 piece wrap around grip that feels good.

grip frame is very similar to a 1911

good internal parts, even the mim ones. mine has a mim hammer and sear. and they are pretty damn hard.

good sights, the fixed are novaks, the adjustable are a S&W design, that has 2 steel ears protecting the sight from impact.

the cons are

very limited aftermarket parts, except for sight and grips, there are none

SA trigger pull while fairly crisp, is heavy. the armorers school spec for the SA trigger pull is it's heavier than the gun.

mag disconnect safety, on a duty gun I love this feature, on a match gun, it makes it a pain to unload and show clear. if you know what your doing, it takes about 10 minutes to disable it.

very few gunsmiths will do a trigger job on one.

if you got one, shoot it. they are great guns that most people don't appreciate.