Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best, most efficient way to clean a gun?

illtmprdman

PS: Will WD40 harm my fiber optic sight?

Probably not too terribly as long as it's intermittent contact.

I'm going to assume (98% sure I'm correct here) that the light pipe is made of acrylic. Acrylic is pretty tough stuff. Although it's hydrocarbon resistance is rated fair to poor, it is used for light aircraft windows, which are *constantly* covered with some type of petroleum-based gook. The real issue would be with WD40 getting inside the sight and remaining in contact with the fiber, which will weaken it over time. You could just pop out the light pipe before doing major cleaning - if you feel the need to hose down your slide with WD-40.

Or you could do what I do: use soap and water.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys mean that these past six years I was supposed to clean(?)my guns? :P

My idea of cleaning is to run my gun under hot water in my basement sink. If it wasn't for lead contamination I would just run the guns through the dishwater. I'm serious :ph34r:

I'm lovin the grease in the slide thing. Took the slide off for the first time since October. Wiped all the gunk off with a rag and some cotton swabs. No solvent of any kind needed.

If if were possible to practice on the cheap with jacketed or plated, then my first suggestion would be not to shoot lead. No matter what the powder, the lube leaves an incredible amount of crud in my gun after just a few hundred rounds, and the action starts to get noticeably gritty. Simple Green works great though. Any cleaner that leaves my brush cleaner after use than before, without destroying my hands, has my vote.

I will leave the arguments on barrel cleaning to others who understand the issues better than I, though I'd like to know of anybody's links to info on just how the accuracy of a "dirty" barrel holds up after 5/10/15K rds. I still clean mine, though. Just start using Kroil - I never saw whole slivers of lead come out of the barrel, off of the lands, after brushing, until I started using it.

Lube? Ultimalube on the barrel lugs, Breakfree CLP everywhere else, though I run my Glock virtually dry, per factory recommendations.