Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb position for 1911

George D

I've shot double action revolvers for many years but have just bought my first auto, a S&W 945, which is very like a 1911.

Can I have some advice on the position of the right thumb (for RH shooter) while firing the pistol. Should it be under the thumb-safety or on the safety holding it down? If under, should the thumb be touching the pistol.

The good thing about right thumb on top of safety is that you expose more of the grip panel for your left hand palm.  You also prevent the safety from accidentally getting bumped on, you get a higher overall grip (especially when you narrow the beaver tail) thus reducing muzzle flip.  You might also account for some downward pressure on the safety also reducing muzzle flip.

All that's true. The best thing about the high thumb grip, I find, is that it automatically depresses the thumb safety so you don't have the worry of forgetting to disengage it at speed, or under stress. When the way you grip the gun automatically (pun intended) depresses the safety, you don't even have to think about it.

It's important to realize the safety doesn't get pushed downward to disengage until the two hands meet and the gun is pointed at the target. NOT in the holster with first hand contact to the gun.

Where exactly is Matt's weak thumb in relationship to the frame.  I've been agonizing lately of whether I should change my grip and adopt a thumbs off aproach to the weak thumb.

The problem is as soon as I'm about to work on the new grip I see a picture of a GM (and not a paper one, a real one) like Matt or Rob with their thumbs on the frame. (or atleast it looks that way)

Please help out on this one.  

To float the thumb or not to float the thumb.  That is the question....

Dowter,

I've been wondering the same thing. In "The Book" (Page 42) Brian says " Both thumbs are pointed at the target, but neither touches the gun", but in another recent thread he says that he clamps down on the safety. ???  Mondo confuso for us mere mortals

I vote to float.  Pat Harrison and a few others don't have a problem with letting the thumb touch.  I sure do though.  With the thumb touching, any tension that you have is transferred into pressure which will make the gun track differently.  Match stress, or real life stress, will result in steering the gun with the thumb (whether you want to or not).  

Pat likely can get away with that.  He has much more experience than I do, and he likely has less stress in a match too.  I know that in the recent Tri-State Section match I hit a few C's on second shots that I can trace back to tension, and likely steering the gun.

I go with the thumb on gun approach.  I put a small bit of grip tape as an index point to help verify that I have my grip in the same place every time.

I don't put any positive pressure on the frame, but I am aware of it touching my thumb.

Try it all, see what you like!

BradC

A46143

George D,

My weak hand thumb, I try to keep it off the frame...completely.

The idea is to point both thumbs at the target.

On a 1911, I keep the strong hand thumb on the safety, but (of course) off the slide.  

The big idea (in my mind) is to not try to steer the gun with the thumbs.  As the body's tension changes (under stress) so does the ability to properly steer.

Maybe the dot gun guys can see if they are "steering" a bit easier...  but, it's hard to tell when running at high speed with iron sights while going for super fast splits on targets.  (The gun needs to return to the same place ever time after recoil.  Steering with the thumbs alters can alter this.)

Thanks Flexmoney for that clarifcation.

There seems to be some variation in preference regarding the weak thumb position in relation to the frame but unanimous agreement on this forum that the other thumb should ride on the safety.

I'm glad I sought advice here because the auto "experts?" in my club scoffed at the idea, insisting that the rear thumb should be under the safety when firing.

Thanks to all for the comments

George_D, FWIW, I have a friend who just bought his first Para-Ord. He is used to the weak thumb over strong  thumb grip (hence, strong thumb under safety).  However, once in a while he will accidentally bump the safety on (he has short thick fingers).  Now he's trying his best to use my grip style (thumbs pointing forward, etc.)  According to him "it feels weird but nothing a good dry fire routine will fix." Tough little bugger. :)

mcoliver,

I agree with your friend, the high grip does feel weird, especially for a revolver shooter starting with his first auto. I sought advice in this forum because I wanted to get the grip right from the beginning. I believe in the saying "start as you mean to finish". But it feels weird never the less.

Flexmoney,

Your right there. When I started shooting double handed I felt comfortable in an isosceles stance with an open foot postion. A got some coaching from a local "expert" who insisted that I should shift my right foot back, tilt my head over my shooting arm and adopt a weaver like posture. I felt a bit like a contortionist. Now I have read in Brian's book that he found a stance almost identical to the one which I originally found comfortable so I am reverting back to that.

It certainly helps if you're put on the right track to begin with.

(Edited by George D at 2:06 pm on Oct. 16, 2002)

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help here guys.

I've always been a revolver shooter so I'm new to the 1911 (S&W 945). I've been working on the high grip discussed in this thread but I have been getting intermittent misfires, particularly when prone. When I examine the failed round it has a very light firing-pin indent.

It has been suggested to me that the problem may be that the high thumb grip may be lifting my thumd pad and taking pressure off the grip safety and the firing pin is clipping the safety and loosing momentum. The guys in my club all shoot with their thumbs under the slide safety and when I have tried this the problem hasn't occurred, but as I said the problem is intermittent.

Any suggestions or experiences please.

(Edited by George D at 1:24 pm on Oct. 30, 2002)