Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor Freelance 170 Basepads

TruStreet

Anyone using Taylor Freelance 170 mm base pads? How many extra rounds are you getting?

I bought 4 Taylor Freelance 170 base pads. Their ad claims that I should get an extra 11 9mm rounds and 8 in 40 S&W. I can only get 5 in 40 S&W and 8 in 9 mm. I've tried both my reloads & factory ammo... same results.

Edited by TruStreet

Near as I can figure there are 3 generations of TF 170's.

First gen--plain, complied with the old 170mm length. 27 rds is what I get.

2nd gen---Has "TAYLOR FREELANCE" machined into the front. 28. can get 29, but

it's tight. Might get a usable 29 with a little tuning.

3rd gen---plain, no lettering. Complies with the 171+ length. 28 easy, 29 OK.

NHO advertises a tuned one that will hold 30.

Some are doing cut down G18 mags. I've heard claims of 30, but I have no hands

on experience.

You do need to de-burr the insides of your mags a little first. Take some fine sanpaper (400+) or a small emery board (like a nail file) and lightly sand the inside of youyr Glock mags. Sometimes they get small burrs, or flakes of plastic that can interfere with the followers when an extended base pad is applied. Thereby requiring the followers to go past the end or bottom of the original mag.

You do need to de-burr the insides of your mags a little first. Take some fine sanpaper (400+) or a small emery board (like a nail file) and lightly sand the inside of youyr Glock mags. Sometimes they get small burrs, or flakes of plastic that can interfere with the followers when an extended base pad is applied. Thereby requiring the followers to go past the end or bottom of the original mag.

Thanks guys I 'll try the sanding.

I haven't bought any in a long time. Sounds like they are coming with different data. Maybe get in touch with Taylor Freelance for their input.

I recall my instruction had you rounding the edges of the legs of the followers...so they didn't catch on any sharp edges/burrs in the mags.

I'd do both...the followers and de-burr the mags.

All i know is I've used 2 140mm Taylor +5's and 3 170mm +10 Taylor extensions for years when I was shooting an open Glock, and after deburring the inside of the mags, I never had a problem.

I used nothing but stock Glock followers, and the springs that came with the Taylors.