Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Little Speedloader Help, Please.

flycaster

Hello. I want to try my Ruger GP100 in some competition. I have eight Safariland Comp II speedloaders, in the appropriate size (Ruger GP, S&W L-frame). When I try practice reloads with live ammo, often they won't go to place unless they are exactly parallel to the charge holes. I found an HKS speedloader in the "K-frame" size and, even though a bit small, it worked prety well. The same (smaller) size Comp II's didn't work at all. Since the rounds are partway into the charge holes, I don't think chamfering would help. The Comp's don't seem to be hanging up on the grip. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Chuck, who's HAPPY that THE BEARS are in the Super Bowl!!! :P

My son uses a GP100, and I shot 6-8 matches last season with one as well. We use Comp III loaders, with the loader base trimmed down so that it just covers the rim of the cartridge plus a mm or 2. My son uses his right hand on the loaders, and I use my left. Which do you use?

I have found that the Comp loaders are more than twice as fast as the hks loaders. Keep the gun high, and "look" the loader all the way to the cylinder. If you will hold the loader with your middle finger touching the top of two rounds, you should be able to line it up with the cylinder pretty easily. Add a little chamfer to the charge holes and it is even easier.

flycaster,

It could be that your brass is hanging on the charge holes. Make sure that your rounds are crimped well. Not only will it prevent the brass from hanging up on the charge holes, but it will make the pf more consistant as well.

FWIW

dj

dajarrel- as I sit here with a loader and the GP, I think you have nailed it. The brass might be hanging up. These are commercial loads (UMC), so I have no control over the crimp- but I may try a different brand. I don't understand, though, why this only happens with Comps, and not HKS.

Chuck

I don't understand, though, why this only happens with Comps, and not HKS.
My guess is that because the HKS hold the rounds more loosely, they line up better.

Going off on a tangent, if you want to shoot competition, you're going to have to use different ammo anyway. Those 130 grain loads don't make the power factor for any sport you can use the GP100 in. The only factory ammo I've found (and I've looked) that makes the PF are S&B 158 grain RNLs and Fiocchi 158 grain FMJs. I've heard that Blazer +P 158 grain TMJs do too. If you load your own, it becomes a lot easier. ;)

I don't understand, though, why this only happens with Comps, and not HKS.
My guess is that because the HKS hold the rounds more loosely, they line up better.

Going off on a tangent, if you want to shoot competition, you're going to have to use different ammo anyway. Those 130 grain loads don't make the power factor for any sport you can use the GP100 in. The only factory ammo I've found (and I've looked) that makes the PF are S&B 158 grain RNLs and Fiocchi 158 grain FMJs. I've heard that Blazer +P 158 grain TMJs do too. If you load your own, it becomes a lot easier. ;)

I don't shoot in any competition that involves a power factor. I'm shooting an indoor version of PPC. I'd love to load, but I have no room at home.

Chuck

I don't shoot in any competition that involves a power factor. I'm shooting an indoor version of PPC.
DOH! I guess the indoor part explains why you're not shooting wadcutters.

revchuck- most league members who use wheelies shoot WC's. I'm trying to get accustomed to the easier loading of standard bullets. At this point, however, I may try the WC's sooner rather than later. No nasty crimp to worry about, perhaps.

Chuck

As far as the WC go, you will need to chamfer the cylinder to prevent the case necks from hanging up.

Also, you will need a very slight roll crimp on the cases, which will help too.

I've shot PPC for about 20 years.

As far as the WC go, you will need to chamfer the cylinder to prevent the case necks from hanging up.

Yup- noticed that today. I may just stick with what works for me- HKS- until I'm sure I want to shoot the GP as a steady competition diet.

Chuck

For years I used HKS speedloaders with my .45 Colt Redhawk simply because there is nothing else. I came to learn that the cartridge wobble is a good thing. My biggest problem at first was the combination of cast bullets, filthy 231 powder and very tight chambers. The loaded rounds never wanted to fully seat in the cylinder. Upgrading to Clays and plated bullets has solved that problem.

A few years ago Bill Rudder showed me how to do a weak hand reload with the HKS loaders. After you pop the cylinder you hold it down with the trigger finger to prevent it from spinning and then you can twist the HKS speedloader with the weak hand. It may be a common practice, but I don't see very many people using HKS speedloaders these days and I never do the weak hand reload anyway. Still, it's an interesting twist (pun intended) on an already viable reloading technique.

Dave Sinko

For years I used HKS speedloaders with my .45 Colt Redhawk simply because there is nothing else. I came to learn that the cartridge wobble is a good thing. My biggest problem at first was the combination of cast bullets, filthy 231 powder and very tight chambers. The loaded rounds never wanted to fully seat in the cylinder. Upgrading to Clays and plated bullets has solved that problem.

A few years ago Bill Rudder showed me how to do a weak hand reload with the HKS loaders. After you pop the cylinder you hold it down with the trigger finger to prevent it from spinning and then you can twist the HKS speedloader with the weak hand. It may be a common practice, but I don't see very many people using HKS speedloaders these days and I never do the weak hand reload anyway. Still, it's an interesting twist (pun intended) on an already viable reloading technique.

Dave Sinko

Thanks for the tip, Dave. I'm a lefty, but I've managed to get fairly comfortable with a revolver.

Chuck