Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking About A New Top End!

ALF

I have an SVI IMM in 9x19 it is a great gun in every way, but I am playing with the idea of getting a new top end, that is totaly different from the original one!

My SVI has a slightly shortened slide with a hybrid cut (3 hybrid holes) and a 3 port comp.

What I am looking for is something like this a full lenght slide with a 3 or 4 port fullprofile comp(like the ones EGW makes)and no hybrid holes, the slide should have some material removed at the rear end. Is it a waste of time and money or will this thing work? :unsure:

I shoot 9X19 Major loads with a factor of 168-170 OAL is about 31 mm.

It would be fun to compare how I would shoot with two totaly different setups!

Anyone that has some ideas about this?

That's a review I would like to see. Comparing "fast and snappy" to "smooth and softer". At least that's my conception of the difference between the two top ends.

From my reading it appears that your current top end is this year's "best of the best", yet I've yet to see that many shortening their slides and adding poppel holes. It may be the crowd I shoot with.

If you go ahead with the new top end, please keep us advised

And if you have time for a quick question, your 9x19 loads have an OAL of 31 mm (approx 1.22"). What bullet are you using and have you had any problems with bullet movement in the case? (I shoot 9x21 loaded to a length of 1.225" and wondered if the next blaster could be 9x19 to take advantage of the cheap brass and use similar loads.)

Thanks.

Bill

If there is a drawback to the SVI IMM is it that the gun is VERY loud and the blast from the front end is also disturbing/could be because the hybrid holes?).

I like the way the gun moves between targets, compared to other Open guns that I tried.But as I am curious and want to try something new, why not something that is on the other end of the spektrum.

No I have not had any problems with bullet movement, the bullet I use at the moment are Zero 125 gn FMJ.Other that I have tried and liked are Magtech 125gn FMJ and Nosler 135gn IPSC. The Nosler bullet is in my gun the most acurate that I have tried.Powders that I have used are Vith N350 Hogdon HS6 and Nobel/Vectan SP2. The Vith N350 seems to procuce more smoke than the others, no problem though!

One more thing I dont know if my gun is special but it seems to like loads with a power factor higher than 165 the best. I must confess that shooting a hybrid is different than a normal Open class gun, but it works and thats what matters.

Edited by ALF

I have just got a price for the new top end,about $1000. This includes all parts and labour.

I hope that I will have the gun ready by the end of March!

What I am curios to find out is how much one loses in velocity with a shortened slide with popple holes compared to a "normal" lenght slide without "holes", and also how fast one can change between targets.

The list of parts: Caspian slide. EGW 3 port full profile comp, and a Bar-Sto barrel,

a Sidewinder slide racker and Aftec extractor, plus the usual small parts! B)

Edited by ALF

• 1 month later...

I just got the new top end and the first impression is "nice"!

It seems to me that in order to function, is a power factor of 168 at least needed.

Yesterday I spent some time at the range, testing different loads. My match ammo for Florida Open (8,6gn HS6 OAL 1,22 Remington brass&primers) worked just fine with a factor of 171.

The recoil spring is use for the moment is an 8lb, on the IMM topend am I currently using a 9lb.

I will be back with more when the weather is better, in the meantime will I try to load some new ammo.

The work was done by Frank Glenn in Phoenix. In my humble opinion is he outstanding, one thing I forgot to mention is that cost of finishing the the new slide and comp was not included in the $1000.I will see if I can get some pictures in the near future.

To be honest I dont know if he gave me a "good" price for old times sake!

I have had a few guns built before by Frank and he has always delivered quality work.

He has built a number of pistols for Robbie Leatham and Brian Enos to name two of his more well known customers!

His website gives all the info one needs, www.glenncustom.com

My first impression is that the new top end is more "stable" and not as"nervous" as the IMM top end!

I dont know yet which one I will use in competition this season.

As soon as spring arrives will I set up camp at the range and do some serious testing! B)

Edited by ALF

My first impression is that the new top end is more "stable" and not as"nervous" as the IMM top end!

I've observed that as well.

Usually you can't tell what a shooter is seeing while they are behind the gun. But, I've been able to actually notice the shooter waiting on the gun to settle down between splits on paper. (Shooting steel is no big deal...as it is more of a one shot thing.)

The "stable" and "nervous" terms seem appropriate.

Could you try some drills and let us know what you observe...times...dot movement..etc. ?

(Maybe a few Bill Drills at various distances. And, a couple of 2+2+2 of 3 paper targets.)

• 1 month later...

I have now has the chance to do some minor tests, and this is what I found!

First both top ends works best with "hotter" ammo a PF of 168-173 seems to work best.

I use Fiocchi cases and 8.7 gn of Vectan SP2 OAL 1.22, I have used different primers but the ones I like best are Remington small rifle. The bullets are Zero 125 gn FMJ.

With the "old" top end is the dot hardly moving at all(it just "shudders thats it). But the gun is VERY loud and the muzzle blast is disturbing, but I get the impression that the time between targets is faster than with the "new" top end.

With the new top end is the dot moving up and down (not much but compared to the other is there a clear difference) the dot never leaves the A-zone though. The impression I get is that the "new" top is softer to shoot and perhaps just a little slower between targets.

This weekend will I do some more tests on some simple stages and also see what the timer and chrono will tell me.