Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar10 Magazines

paraman1

Just purchased an DPMS LR308 and need the lowdown on magazines . Do they take M14 mags that are modified like the Armalite or a whole different animal ? What do you need to do to the M14 mag to make it work if this can be done ? It came with 2 10 rounders but I am gonna need some 20 rounders for sure .

OK , so I am stuck using their mags . 2 questions , whats the longest OAL you can get in the mags and where can I find them for teh best price . DPMS wants 20 bucks a piece more for them than the dude on Gunbroker but I would like to support one of our site dealers if possible .

I like that.....so I am 'stuck using their magazines' uhmmmmm.....typically, if you want the best reliability, you use the manufactures magazine made for the gun. HOWEVER.....you can also use the stoner SR-25 mags at about $90 to $115 apiece and they work flawless as well.

When I first got my 308, DPMS was not making steel mags yet, so I tried to get the new armalite AR-10 (M14) mags to work in the rifle. and after extensive modifications.....I got them to work about 75% of the time. I still believe you may be able to get them to work, but I said screw that and bought the SR-25 mags at the time.

Now I have 4 SR-25 mags and 4 DPMS mags.......they all work the same now. At first I could only get 19 rounds inthe DPMS mags, but now can get 20 into them.

I'd say if you want to save a buck.....and save your hair.....go with the DPMS magazines.

Tim

Yeah , I am stuck with their proprietary magazines . Unlike an AR-15 where you can choose from umpteen suppliers and find them anywhere I must use only DPMS magazines .

Do you reload for your DPMS ? If so whats the OAL that will fit in the mags ?

Mike --- I load both 168's & 175's to 2.810 for my Armalite 10T. Using 44 grs. Varget, 175 Sierras', prepped brass, & Fed. GMM primers I shot a 5 inch three shot group at 1000 last Wednesday. Helps that I've got a thousand yards plus range on my property, give that load a try next time you go to Parma.

Thanks Rich . I have some 168's left over from a Bulk buy Dad and I did but am moving to the Lapua 170 lock Base (provided they shoot well) . Better then the 175 SMK in ballistics but I can push them as fast as the 168 .If they won't work well in my DPMS I will use them in my Bolt gun and try something else .

I tried talking my wife into letting me buy some property like yours but she was resistant to living in the middle of nowhere and then she mentioned something about having a lawn and then I just sort of tuned her out ... LOL

The only problems I have had with the DPMS mag is that they do not handle the shorter 125 grain bullets real well, they tend to to nose dive. The 6 mags that i have all work 100% with the the 150's and up. But some I can only get 19 and some 20.