Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Swaging

Another post on swaging had me thinking about this..

On the 1050, all you can do is just remove the crimp right?

There's no way to have the primer pocket so it's basically not 'squared' off at the case?

When the swage goes into the primer pocket, how far in should it go? The crimp is just at the head, or should I get close to the flash hole?

The pictures in the manual seem to show much better results than are possible.

Thanks...

Dave, it is trial and error for me until I can seat a primer in smoothly. When setting the primer punch depth I put the ram down so I can see how deep the punch goes into the primer hole and guesstimate it. I then run a case through and you should feel a good amount of resistance. I then send it through to prime and if it smoothly primes then you have got er dun! I think it is possible to do too much, but just do a little bit until it fit in smoothly. You can also take a primer and set it on top of the case as you would be inserting it into the case, and if it starts into the hole you should have it licked!

Hope this helps,

DougC

Another post on swaging had me thinking about this..

On the 1050, all you can do is just remove the crimp right?

There's no way to have the primer pocket so it's basically not 'squared' off at the case?

When the swage goes into the primer pocket, how far in should it go? The crimp is just at the head, or should I get close to the flash hole?

The pictures in the manual seem to show much better results than are possible.

Thanks...

There is a fillet on the 1050 swager, so if you run it all the way up, it could round-over the primer pocket edge. But I've heard you can also bend the shellplate doing that, so I just set it to erase any crimps and it's good to go.

Thanks..

I did the Nik suggestion.. and sectioned a case in half to see how deep the swager goes in.

The crimp is at the outside edge right? so, just a 1/32 or so past sound enough (maybe half way into the primer pocket) ?

With LC (etc) brass, I'm guessing it'll never feel as smooth as Remington brass.