Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does Anybody Use A Foregrip?

stubbicatt

Does anybody run a rifle with one of those foregrips? I was wondering if it might not help to stabilize my 308 rifle against the recoil. Too, some of them have these little bipods which pop out and might be helpful in some stages.

The one 3 gun match I shot nobody had anything like that.

Thanks.

USPSA rules--nothing that says you can't use a foregrip. Personally I don't like them,

even on a shorty carbine. That little pop-out bipod is cute, but it will put you in Open

division.

Lots of 3-gun/multi-gun matches are run under rules other than USPSA. Not sure

of the allowed equipment there.

There was some talk about this at the last Multi-Gun Nationals. John Amidon told me that a vert foregrip is "similar" to a bipod and would put the shooter into Open Division. He also said that if a shooter removed one during the match that it would be changing the configuration of the gun and would result in a match DQ. Not my opinion but it's what he told me. I know that they are working on a some changes to the MG rules to address that issue.

As far as using one on a 308, I think you'd be better off with a good comp. I haven't had good luck with Vert foregrips no AR's. Other folks have. Erik Lund uses one a lot and does very well with it.

I see no reason to change any rules in IMGA or USPSA pretaining to the use of the vertical grip on your rifle.....leave it the way it is.

The rules clearly state that you can not use a supporting device on a tactical rifle.......soooooo if you use a vertical grip in that manner, and someone protests it.....welcome to open. If you are already going that and no one has protested.....you will eventually. Heck I thought why not make a vertical fore grip about 5 inches longer and then use it as a mono pod......NOT. Look at the rules, VERY clear already. Technically......and I am speaking technically, in the tactical divisions.....that would also mean you can not use your 30 round magazine for support either........ :o

Is that just my view on it???......well, before you say anything......re-read the rules :)