Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Peening On Slide Stop Area Of The Slide

foxyyy

I was expecting my P16-40 just now and was surprised to see some peening on the slide - the slotted part where the slide stop engages the slide. What seems to cause this?

My slide locks when there are no more rounds in the magazine. Will having magazines with "no slide-lock" won't aggravate the problem?

Thanks!

Edited by foxyyy

I was expecting my P16-40 just now and was surprised to see some peening on the slide - the slotted part where the slide stop engages the slide. What seems to cause this?

My slide locks when there are no more rounds in the magazine. Will having magazines with "no slide-lock" won't aggravate the problem?

De-activate the slide stop. Just grind a little off at a time until it clears the follower.

DaG

Thanks!

Every time it locks back it will peen it just a bit, it is totally normal and won't hurt anything for tens of thousands of rounds. If it gets really bad just take a file and dress off the places where it is sticking out and run it. Defeating the slide stop lock back on empty will stop the peening, but the peening isn't going to hurt anything.

I have a slide thats slated to go back to Caspian for an exchange(hairline crack close to the breech face opposite of the extractor). The slide has some where close to 100k+ rounds thru it. The slide stop area is peened to the point it won't hold the slide open when the gun is bumped lightly. I don't mind though. As soon as I ram a mag in the slide closes without me touching the slide release :P .

Well, first the peening is VERY minor at this point. Second, most of what I see is caused by using the slide stop as a slide release and is wear as much as peening.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

That just means you're shooting it. That is a good thing.

If you consider that little tab is the only thing that stops the slide from flying forwards on the last shot, it's no wonder the contact surface gets beat up a little.

i wouldn't worry about that small amount of peening. it looks like it would last for 100k+ rounds. mine on the other hand is fairly beat up. though i'm wondering if caspian slides has a slightly rounder profile where the slide stop engages.

well..the gun has just consumed around 2,000rds so far. am pretty vain with it.

already modified my followers for a "no slide lock" & rounded a bit the top part of the slide stop that engages that slot in the slide.

thanks so much for your replies!