Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

L Frame Trigger Problems

COF

I watched the other Jerry M's :) video and proceeded to disassemble by 646. I did a few minor things like polishing the bottom of the rebound slide and the sides of the hammer and trigger to smooth them up. While putting it back together I noticed a scratch on the inside of the frame that looked like it came from the sear. There have been a few times when shooting when I've pulled the trigger real hard when I had a bad moonclip and the gun locked up.

After I put it back together, and tried it without the side plate on,the trigger pull was worse unless I pushed down on the trigger. I didn't check to see if the trigger pin was bent, but it almost seemed like it needed shims or a new trigger if there is that much play in the trigger. I haven't had a chance to look at it any more but would appreciate any input you guys might have

After I put it back together, and tried it without the side plate on,the trigger pull was worse unless I pushed down on the trigger. I didn't check to see if the trigger pin was bent, but it almost seemed like it needed shims or a new trigger if there is that much play in the trigger. I haven't had a chance to look at it any more but would appreciate any input you guys might have

I´ve noticed the same phenomenon on my smiths - without the sideplate, the trigger-hammer geometry can move so that the relevant contact surfaces don´t fit 100% - this causes a stronger, non smoothe pull, sometimes even a lock. If this stays, when sideplate is on (too much play between hammer or trigger and frame) you should set in some shims. In between, I have the on both to make sure, hammer and trigger are keeping always the same position to each other.

Hope, my explanation attempt was understandable... :unsure:

DVC!

Sascha

While putting it back together I noticed a scratch on the inside of the frame that looked like it came from the sear.

If it has the old style pinned sear, check your sear and stirrup pins to make sure they are flush with the hammer.

One added note, one of the most common ways frames are damaged is by dropping the hammer with the side plate off and having it hit the frame. If it hits just right, the side plate will not go back on.

Regards,

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter