Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Cal Titegroup Load And Sparks

stubbicatt

Thanks all for reading this. I've been reloading now for 20 years, or thereabouts. After having read many of the posts here, I decided to try a pound of Titegroup for use with .40 caliber, 180 grain plated bullets in my Glock. It is a nice accurate load.

I shot this at an indoor range the other day. It isn't especially well lit. I saw what seemed to be very bright sparks coming out of the pistol when the gun was discharged. There are no pressure signs, no split cases, everything cycles just fine. it is 4.5 grains of Titegroup.

I cannot determine whether they are coming from the muzzle or from the breech, only that they are visible while looking down the sights and firing the weapon. What is the cause?

Thanks.

Hopefully it is from the muzzle. One theory is that it is unburnt powder another theory is that it is from the primer mix. Late in the afternoon I get the same thing from American Select in a .45.

If it is from the breech the spring is probably getting weak and the slide/barrel is unlocking a little bit fast.

How much crimp are you using? With a plated bullet, the "jacket" is fragile and could be part of the light show. Plated bullets are crimp sensitive, you should be using .421-.422 for .40 cal plated bullets.

I see sparks indoors with jacketed factory ammo from time to time too, so it's not just your handloads.

I don't think there's anything weird about seeing the sparks indoors (unless it's coming from the breach).

+1 to ihatepickes comment on the plated bullets.

A little too much crimp and the brittle plating is broken. I WAY over crimped some when I first tried them.....and at close range there was a circle of tiny holes in the target around the bullet hole... from the plating.

I also shoot indoors a lot... and I use Tigtegroup in .45 ACP loads... there is always a little light show:)

• 2 weeks later...

The crimp is very slight. I back out the FCD screw, insert a cartridge, and then screw the crimp until it starts to meet resistance and then less than 1/4 turn after that. Really just enough to smooth it out.

I'm using CCI primers. You think perhaps other primers will create less sparking? Which brand do you believe works best with this combination?

Thanks.

The crimp is very slight. I back out the FCD screw, insert a cartridge, and then screw the crimp until it starts to meet resistance and then less than 1/4 turn after that. Really just enough to smooth it out.

I'm using CCI primers. You think perhaps other primers will create less sparking? Which brand do you believe works best with this combination?

Thanks.

Greg...I don't think I would worry about the sparks. Just shoot the gun... It will be alright. :)

i dont notice sparks with federal or Winchester primers...and ive used all others i can find. Federal are my Favorites, wincehsters are what i use when i cant get the Feds.

cci primers do shoot sparks out..

Harmon