Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Telephone Hangups

Steelshooter3

It's bad enough to be saturated with telemarketing offers at work but recently I answer the phone saying hi, my name, name of the business and how may I help you and receive a pause then click. I am averaging about ten a day. I love stopping what I'm doing to run to the phone and get a click :angry. We should be allowed to have a selective EMP pulse so that we can fry the circuits of whoever keeps wasting our time :D . There now, I feel better - I won't beat up the phone next time.

It's those autodialers...dials multiple numbers at a time and, when one picks up, it drops the other lines so the attendant can do their thing.

I get a ton at work too. I'm one of the advertising decision makers so I get all the industry trade publications who have to 'qualify' their subscriber base - so they can say 'we reach x number of engineers who specify widgets'. I know they use autodialers because I'll pick up the phone and note my name to which their response is (with hindu accent) 'can I speak to xxx please?' meaning me.

I'm with dj in that I don't answer the phone as much as I used to....

I don't think it is just a matter of the funky autodialers they use.

For a while, I was getting calls from someplace that i forget (was on caller ID each time), if I didn't answer it, it would go until four rings and stop. If i did, it would just hang up.

I can't believe i was never the first one to the phone except when I ignored it in the 2 weeks this went on.

The only other explanaiton I cna think of is war-dialing to find service lines for businesses arounds here since modem pools are pretty much a thing of the past. But to get hit over and over, the guy running it would have to be stupid, or there'd have to be a lot of them.

It's annoying though.

I've heard that this is a way around the "do not call" list. There are people who will return the calls on their caller ID which they missed. If they do so, they have initiated the call to the marketer and are not subject to the "do not call" rules.

I've heard that this is a way around the "do not call" list. There are people who will return the calls on their caller ID which they missed. If they do so, they have initiated the call to the marketer and are not subject to the "do not call" rules.

Could be, but as there is about two seconds of me on the phone without a dial tone, I just send that caller ID number on to the do not call list complaint box.