Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger Firearms

thejoe

A gun I looked at that looks promising (for the price tag) is a Stoeger Cougar 8000. It's almost identical to the no-longer-produced Beretta 8000. Would the Stoeger be a good idea? I'm mainly interested in it for a concealed carry gun but would certainly entertain the idea in competing with it.

joe

Joe,

Stoeger, Franchi, Uberti and Beretta are all owned by Benelli Arms. There's your reason for the the Stoeger copy of the Cougar 8000.

I never liked the feel of the Beretta Cougar 8000, but I don't really like Beretta pistols in general. Stoeger's factories are in Turkey and this allows labor costs to be kept low. It's not as well finished as a Beretta but it also doesn't cost as much.

I wouldn't buy the pistol, that's my personal choice though.

I have a Stoeger S2000 12 gauge, but I've never shot one of their pistols.

I like the shotgun, because it's the only way you can get the Benelli inertial recoil system without buying a Benelli.

Stoeger is one brand-name that is owned by Beretta. The 8000 is a discontinued Beretta design that, as ihatepickles pointed out, is now being built under contract for Stoeger in Turkey.

Lower labor costs have made Turkey the latest choice for farming out firearms production much the same as China is the low cost choice for producing optics and electronics.

Personally I've always liked the Cougar, certainly a lot more then the rest of the Beretta pistols. Also the current models are made on the same machines as the Beretta ones, they moved them to Turkey.

Something to keep in mind, the Turks have been building guns longer then almost anyone. Like a lot of other places they build stuff on the spec of the company ordering it. If the company orders junk, they get junk. That doesn't mean they can't build some high quallity guns. My 1947 Turkish Mauser outshoots my BYF42 98K made at high of german quality, with a pitted barrel and crummy surplus ammo.

I would like to handle one of the new Cougars before I bought one, but I wouldn't discount them just because of where they are made.

One of my buddies bought a Stoeger shotgun instead of paying twice as much for the Benelli. He likes it, but said that it does not function as well as the Benelli. A couple days of single shot duck hunting in a cold, wet blind.

JM

One of my buddies bought a Stoeger shotgun instead of paying twice as much for the Benelli. He likes it, but said that it does not function as well as the Benelli. A couple days of single shot duck hunting in a cold, wet blind.

JM

You have to shoot them with heavy loads for a while until they get broken in, then they work great!

JM

You have to shoot them with heavy loads for a while until they get broken in, then they work great!

Yeah - um... if we're duck hunting we pretty much aren't using light target loads...

No need to break in a Benelli. Take it out of the box, put it together and shoot. Ask Tom Knapp. If you've ever seen one of his shows, he takes a brand new Benelli out of the FACTORY shipping box, puts it together, and amazes the crowd.

JM

Yeah - um... if we're duck hunting we pretty much aren't using light target loads...

No need to break in a Benelli. Take it out of the box, put it together and shoot. Ask Tom Knapp. If you've ever seen one of his shows, he takes a brand new Benelli out of the FACTORY shipping box, puts it together, and amazes the crowd.

JM

Good point.

I doubt I'll ever be able to afford a Benelli, though... :(

I have a Stoeger S2000 12 gauge, but I've never shot one of their pistols.

I like the shotgun, because it's the only way you can get the Benelli inertial recoil system without buying a Benelli.

Actually a buddy of mine has a Beretta branded shotgun with the Benelli recoil system. I am sure it is the exact same thing as the Stoeger. Pretty nice gun especially for the priec. If I remember he paid sub $500 for it.