Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Elbows high, low, or middle?

10ring

I've noticed shooters who have their elbows raised up but flexed slightly, and others who have their elbows  closer together, sort of "under" the gun.  What do you guys recommend?

As for me, I've been using a sort of natural extended hand clap position, (if I might borrow a term used by Ron Avery and extend it a bit).  However, sometimes during a draw I'l have more tension built up in the drawing arm, causing the elbow to end up more below the gun  as opposed to its natural position.

I asked a similar question when I first started posting on here (mine was about pulling the gun in closer so I could see more "light" around the front sight).

Brian's answer at the time was along the lines of...just relax, and let your body tell you where it wants to be.

Quote: from George D on 10:24 pm on Nov. 6, 2002

Hey Flex,

I've heard that the best way of seeing "more "light" around the front sight" involves a few minutes of judicious filing.

LOL.  The last time I tried this I ruined a perfectly good FO sight and had to spend twice the cost of the file for the new sight.

10ring, I agree with Flex with the relaxing thing. Go with the position requiring the least amount of effort.