Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Lb Trigger For Production?

midvalleyshooter

I went to the World Shoot and I don't remember them checking trigger weight (I didn;t see it). I am curious as to how it was done - at check-in when they were checking gear? Regardless, I think it will be a pain in the butt to do at big matches. I don't think it would be fair for Chrono guy to guage one pistol on "feel." In order for fairness, you would have tio check them all. Secondly, I know some guys who have made an art out of cheating. I am talking guys that switch ammo out after chrono or call their buddies shooting the next day to tell them to bring weak ammo because a certain match isn't chronoing. Glocks being as they are, it would be easy to switch one out after the check (and these guys would do it) wihtout anyone knowing. So, would you have to check serial #'s. I just think it would be a nightmare to enforce and to do so fairly.

Jack, anyone can change a Glock Coneector in a Porta-Potty, I can change the Sear Block of an M&P in 5 minutes, I can have a Pimped out Sear and a factory Sear, they will have to check Trigger Pull over and over, or maybe have spot checks!!

Can anyone say Cluster*#@&

Y

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the World Shoot and I don't remember them checking trigger weight (I didn;t see it). I am curious as to how it was done - at check-in when they were checking gear? Regardless, I think it will be a pain in the butt to do at big matches. I don't think it would be fair for Chrono guy to guage one pistol on "feel." In order for fairness, you would have tio check them all. Secondly, I know some guys who have made an art out of cheating. I am talking guys that switch ammo out after chrono or call their buddies shooting the next day to tell them to bring weak ammo because a certain match isn't chronoing. Glocks being as they are, it would be easy to switch one out after the check (and these guys would do it) wihtout anyone knowing. So, would you have to check serial #'s. I just think it would be a nightmare to enforce and to do so fairly.

Jack, anyone can change a Glock Coneector in a Porta-Potty, I can change the Sear Block of an M&P in 5 minutes, I can have a Pimped out Sear and a factory Sear, they will have to check Trigger Pull over and over, or maybe have spot checks!!

Can anyone say Cluster*#@&

Y

Thats what it sounds like to me. As a match director for our sectional match (this year and next), it really is worrying me how we are going to monitor this. Our matches run "slicker than snot" and but this might be what causes us to change from a one day format to a two day - because of the added time to fairly check people.

The 3 lb rule only alters an equipment race. There will always be an equipment race of some form or fashion in every division of a freestyle shooting sport. Change it from no minimum trigger to 3 lbs, and everyone will start playing with this, that, and the other spring to have what they want in the trigger and pass (debatable) a trigger calibration test. A smooth and light trigger is advantageous over a heavy jerky trigger. Anyone that says different is smokin dope. So, when I get that light smooth trigger, why should it be necessary to worry about the trigger pull weight? Functionality takes care of going too light. If it doesn't consistantly light a fire when the trigger is pulled, your scores will reflect.

"Functionality takes care of going too light." This is an interesting argument. What is interesting about it is that a Glock or XD trigger job can be reliable at sub-three pound levels. Please anyone name me a gunsmith that can make a Beretta, Sig or CZ reliable with a three pound first trigger pull. I'm can't wait to send my CZ to whomever this is. BTW, I had a Beretta 96 Elite with an Ernie Langdon "competition only" trigger job. First pull was slightly under six pounds.

Yes, this is very true. The first trigger pull on any DA/SA handgun will always be heavier than a Glock, or M&P, or XD. But the second trigger pull at SA makes up for the disadvantage. Other than classifiers, its rare to see a stage under 18 rounds. So, me with my glock has the advantage on round one. You with a nice CZ have the advantage with every other round; equal or lighter weight, and less over travel. I carry a Sig at work. It's a push, and a personal choice which gun to run. I get beat by EERW regularly, and he shoots a CZ. I'm convinced it's not the gun or it's trigger pull that keeps beating me.

If I wouldn't have to get a loan to do it, I would seriously think of getting an X-5 and shoot it in production. They didn't make it when I started, and the glock was cheaper for me to start with. I've never put much stock in saying the DA/SA trigger is better or worse than a DAO trigger. They are simply different, but very equal in pro's and con's.

The 3 lb rule only alters an equipment race. There will always be an equipment race of some form or fashion in every division of a freestyle shooting sport. Change it from no minimum trigger to 3 lbs, and everyone will start playing with this, that, and the other spring to have what they want in the trigger and pass (debatable) a trigger calibration test. A smooth and light trigger is advantageous over a heavy jerky trigger. Anyone that says different is smokin dope. So, when I get that light smooth trigger, why should it be necessary to worry about the trigger pull weight? Functionality takes care of going too light. If it doesn't consistantly light a fire when the trigger is pulled, your scores will reflect.

"Functionality takes care of going too light." This is an interesting argument. What is interesting about it is that a Glock or XD trigger job can be reliable at sub-three pound levels. Please anyone name me a gunsmith that can make a Beretta, Sig or CZ reliable with a three pound first trigger pull. I'm can't wait to send my CZ to whomever this is. BTW, I had a Beretta 96 Elite with an Ernie Langdon "competition only" trigger job. First pull was slightly under six pounds.

Yes, this is very true. The first trigger pull on any DA/SA handgun will always be heavier than a Glock, or M&P, or XD. But the second trigger pull at SA makes up for the disadvantage. Other than classifiers, its rare to see a stage under 18 rounds. So, me with my glock has the advantage on round one. You with a nice CZ have the advantage with every other round; equal or lighter weight, and less over travel. I carry a Sig at work. It's a push, and a personal choice which gun to run. I get beat by EERW regularly, and he shoots a CZ. I'm convinced it's not the gun or it's trigger pull that keeps beating me.

If I wouldn't have to get a loan to do it, I would seriously think of getting an X-5 and shoot it in production. They didn't make it when I started, and the glock was cheaper for me to start with. I've never put much stock in saying the DA/SA trigger is better or worse than a DAO trigger. They are simply different, but very equal in pro's and con's.

I thought an X-5 was single action. Doesn't that mean it has to play in Limited or Lim-10?

Man, I hope it's on the list :o If it isn't, Roger Sherman is cheatin his azz off :blink: (There's no way he would do that. He's Air Force; Integrity First. ;)) Yes, its on the list, and expensive as hell. I can get 3 Glocks at LE discount for the price of one X5 Alround.

I also thought about shooting my M-11 (Sig P228, duty weapon) too, but they won't let me change springs or sights on it. They are both equally crappy. Our pro-fire ammo is +p frangible also. Recoil from hell, but only makes about 118 PF.

Sorry, I digress... Besides, at this point, I'm too addicted to the combat tupperware to go changing.