Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optima reliability

Richard

My 11 year old daughter has started shooting steel matches with me this year.I mounted a Optima on a tiny little Pheonix arms .22 that she shoots.Talk about quick to index!

The problem is every few weeks the dot dies.Removing the battery,cleaning it and the contacts brings it back,temp.It's got to be caused by corrosion between the contacts and the battery.

Do any of our electrical types out there know of a chemical that will keep these low current contacts corrosion free?Thanks

I don't know where to get it , but we used to use this stuff on our OLD Aimpoints - it looks just like Vaseline, but is conductive. Check an electrical supply outlet...

Brian

Richard,

You might want to give Tasco a call.  Inform them that there is a problem.  See if they have any suggestions.  Hold them to their two year warranty.   1-888-GET-TASCO.

BTW, I still have that dollar I owe you.  

• 8 months later...

Greetings,

For anyone still interested, it is called Dialectic Grease and it may be found in automotive stores.  It is a corrossion inhibitor utilized for electrical connections/terminals etc.

Another thing to try is CorrosionX.  It has the consistency of WD40.  You'll have to go to an airplane parts shop to get it.  Dielectric grease is best, but CX is your next best bet.  Not cheap at $10 a can, but it's about the best corrosion inhibitor/neutralizer money can buy.  Also very good for treating guns for extended storage.  

Your repeated corrosion problems are indicative of corrosion remaining on the battery terminals - which CX will neutralize.  Give it a shot if all else fails...

Eric

Eric,

Right on.  I started to mention CorrosionX but I thought the grease would be more appropriate.  The stuff is fantastic for electronics exposed to the elements such as the electrical panel in a boat exposed to salt air.  I do a lot of marine repair work since I retired and I always spray all electrical  components with CorrosionX.  I can go back to the same panel years latter and it looks like the day I built it.  Can't say enough about it.

Latter