Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

do they use the same frame

shadetree

I was looking over at the technical threads for magazine interchangeability and I noticed that wilson, Kimber and bulm5 were all listed as being adaptable to para mags.

Are these three guns all built on the same frame.  If they are I think I may try and find a bul m5 to play with.  They seem too be much less expensive than the other two.

I have too many paramags to try a change in mag set ups. if I could find a quality platform that would use the same mags would love the see how a lighter frame would feel.

As far as I know, the wilsons are Manufactured in South Africa and finished by wilson's. Bul used to supply the frames for Kimber but no more. Kimber advertises that thier frame are made here in the U. S.

I think there is a thread elsewhere about the new Bul M5 using STI mags with no modifications.

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...3&topic=490

Sorry, missed the part about you wanting to use para mags. you might want to make sure the Bul M5 you get is one that uses the older mags.

(Edited by JRBean at 5:22 pm on Feb. 22, 2003)

bulM5,

I thought that on the older frames you had to change the mag catch also to make the para mags work. If I remember right Bul offered it on their web page as being different from the one that came with the gun. It has been more than a year since I seriously looked at the bul guns though.

The older Kimber frames were made by BUL.  In correspondence with them, they advised that the frames at that time required the para mags have the mag notch relieved a couple millimeters up to work in their frames.  I found that some did require the adjustment, and some did not.  Para tubes made by STI required the least adjustment, if any.  A new mag release is available for the old BUL/Kimber frames that will accept para mags, but with my current supply of Kimbers, I have not tried it.

Quote: from JRBean on 6:18 pm on Feb. 22, 2003

bulM5,

I thought that on the older frames you had to change the mag catch also to make the para mags work. If I remember right Bul offered it on their web page as being different from the one that came with the gun. It has been more than a year since I seriously looked at the bul guns though.

yup, the plder and the newer frame will accept para mags as per Bultransmark. I am using the rescomp mag catch on my First gen bul

Wildman                                                  

If you get a chance to expierement with the new hicap kimbers I would like to know what the results are.

This may be a bit of a thread drift but I hear a few people talking about quality problems with para mags.  I am wandering what kinds of problems you have experienced.  I have 13 factory paramags,  1 ten round p12,  2 twelve rounders and ten or eleven 14 and 15 rounders.  The only problems I have had with them in about 14,000,  mostly through my p14,  were ftf's and failure to lock back the slide.  Both problem were gone as soon as I changed the factory springs to wolf +10% springs.

knock on wood I haven't had any problems with my para mags contrary to some threads here. I have been using this set up for the last 3-4 yrs I think. I use .45 cal arredondo followers on my .40 mags.