Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crimping Quetion

98sr20ve

I made a mistake while reloading and pulled my first bullet using my new puller. The Lee FCD I am using is set to do a "mild" crimp from the instructions. The pulled bullet has a ring all the way around the bullet. I have no idea what a hard vs soft crimp really looks like. I am using Rainer bullets so I know I don't want to overcrimp them. This is on my 9mm bullets btw.

In my experience plated bullets are more "touchy" than others to crimping. The plating is brittle and you can actually "break" the plating by over crimping.

Flex gave you good advice.

I was able to dial caliper it. Bullet is .355 Crimp is to .3535. Should I be able to see/measure a crimp after a "properly" crimped bullet is pulled.

Edited by 98sr20ve

Couple of suggestions...

1) If you don't already have a minimum chamber gauge (e.g. Dillon, et al), get one - crimp only until your loaded rounds drop freely into and out of the gauge.

2) Once you've established this level of crimp, press the loaded round - hard - against the floor or other unyielding surface, and measure OAL again. If the crimp from #1 above is insufficient to keep the bullet from being pushed back into the case, increase the crimp by slow degrees until it is.

I wouldn't worry unduly about a "ring" around the bullet (I can't speak to the effects of "breaking" the plating on plated bullets, as I don't use them), unless you're planning on routinely pulling and re-using them. I've never seen any measurable impact on accuracy between "ringed" and "un-ringed" rounds...YMMV...