Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oal Affect On Load?

markwilliston

With a 45 you want to be careful with the OAL because it may become very hard to eject a live round if you get it much past 1.259" with most guns. In general the velocity will slow down somewhat and it will shoot softer. Of course this is all subjective. Depends on the powder and other variables. Most of the big guys use a very fast powder and long loads to reduce the pressure in the case so that they make major without over pressuring signs. The way I understand it you want to reach peak pressure befor the round exits the barrel, thus reducing the jet effect of the gasses shooting out of the end of the gun producing rise. So if you get it to peak and come down some before it gets out you will not be contributing to the gun's already rising front sight. Bill wilson uses VV N310 (very fast) to make his 45 testing loads at the factory.

Thanks guys, I posted in the 45 caliber section of reloading about having a fail to feed problem with Montana Gold bullets. I had them really short at 1.195 I have run them out to 1.22 and see how that works.

I am gonna back down to practice load and work it back up once I get it feeding properly.

All other things remaining the same, if you increase your OAL, your pressure/velocity/pf will decrease. If you decrease the OAL, everything will increase, sometimes dramatically. Thus the danger in loads that don't have an adequate crimp and the bullet sets back in the case. Real potential for tactically soiling your underwear.

FWIW

dj

The MG 200 FP is a truncated cone shape with very short profile.

To keep the base of the bullet at the same relative location, you have to load this bullet quite a bit shorter than a FMJ RN design.

However under 1.200 is probably too short.

I normally load 230 FMJ out to about 1.255.

I load the MG 200 to about 1.210.

In my STI it is a very accurate bullet (with Titegroup) and punches nice clean holes in the cardboard targets. That makes it a lot easier to see your hits.

It is a little more finicky about feeding properly in some of my guns.

Tony

Edited by tlshores