Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm And 38 Super Para Mags The Same?

Jasonub

The magazines are not the same. The indentations in the 9 mm mag body are deeper than those of the .38 Super mags. .38 Super works fairly well with the 9 mm mags but 9 mm ammo doesn't like the .38 Super mags at all.

Sam Spiteri

The magazines are not the same. The indentations in the 9 mm mag body are deeper than those of the .38 Super mags. .38 Super works fairly well with the 9 mm mags but 9 mm ammo doesn't like the .38 Super mags at all.

Sam Spiteri

Sammy, I was thinking about you and this issue today. i have a customer who asked me to get him some 9mm para mag tubes for him. So I ordered them from Dawson to take care of my customer. They came in as 38 super. I called Dawson and I questioned them about it knowing what you told me years ago about the 9mm mags. They dont know how it used to be 6-7 years ago but they said today they are the same tube.

Unless you want to make a 170 mag the 9mm and .38 Super Par mags are the same and should be tunable to both. I've seen them work totally interchangeably

The problem comes when you try to make a 170 Para mag out of 2 standard ones. The front indentation at the top of the mag is not deep enough to keep the 9mm straight as they feed and unless you have the perfect gun you will have nose downs or other feeding problems.

The solution I've seen is to use the Mec gar 9mm para mag as the top half of the 170 mag assembly. The Mec gars have deeper front indentations at the top front and it works. There may be a lot of other cures.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul B @ Dec 1 2006, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Unless you want to make a 170 mag the 9mm and .38 Super Par mags are the same and should be tunable to both. I've seen them work totally interchangeably

The problem comes when you try to make a 170 Para mag out of 2 standard ones. The front indentation at the top of the mag is not deep enough to keep the 9mm straight as they feed and unless you have the perfect gun you will have nose downs or other feeding problems.

The solution I've seen is to use the Mec gar 9mm para mag as the top half of the 170 mag assembly. The Mec gars have deeper front indentations at the top front and it works. There may be a lot of other cures.

+1 on the above. The double stack .38 Super and 9 mm mags are different. Although they may work interchangeably depending on the gun and how it is set up, they are different.

In my case, using Para .38 Super magazines, I could shoot my 9 mm Para LDA in ESP (with its 10 round limit) with nary a probem. But if I loaded more than 15 or so rounds into the magazines I would nose dives and FTF up the wazoo!

I talked to my gunsmith (Doug Jones of ACC-U-RAIL) and he pretty much said the same thing as above, i.e. the identation wasn't deep enough. So he cut it out and welded it back up, but deeper. The magazines have worked perfectly with 9 mm since then and I can still use them in .38 Super

Sam

Edited by Sam38

Sam Spiteri

Sammy, I was thinking about you and this issue today. i have a customer who asked me to get him some 9mm para mag tubes for him. So I ordered them from Dawson to take care of my customer. They came in as 38 super. I called Dawson and I questioned them about it knowing what you told me years ago about the 9mm mags. They dont know how it used to be 6-7 years ago but they said today they are the same tube.

Hi Chuck,

If that is the case Para must have standardized on just the 9 mm tubes. If you look at a 9 mm magazine from a new Para 9 mm gun and compare it with the .38 Super magazines you can see a difference with the naked eye.

But I haven't seen any new .38 Super magazines in a long time. Looking at the Para catalog, there aren't even any .38 Super hi-cap magazines listed. I wonder where Dawson got the .38 Super magazines from.

Sammy

Edited by Sam38