Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What About Hard Cast Lead Bullets In A 9mm?

glock_556

cheap, and pretty accurate. Depending on the powder you use, you might not like how much they smoke compared to a plated or jacketed bullet. Cleaning the barrel might be a pain also. Try looking into the moly coated bullets that are available. Costs just a fraction more than plain hard cast, smokes a little less, doesn't lead up barrels excessively (I only shot 1000 rounds so far and the barrel still looks clean) and accurate as hard cast bullets.

If you can get them CHEAP and they truly are HARD cast, then shooting them in Glocks up to 1000-1050 FPS, even 1100 is A-OK. I ran a hard cast 147 from Billy Bullets in 9x at 850-900 fps for years and the same 147 in super at 1200fps+ for years, no issues other than normal (not excessive) leading. I would shoot a few rounds of jacketed after each shooting session and BAM, the bbl clened up real quick at home.

Is that guy still around and making bullets?

As far as I know. Precision bullets, somewhere southwest of Lansing, MI. I don't have his info on me and I'm sure his prices have gone up a bit in the last year. I bought the bullets from a fellow PPC shooter. He'd buy them buy the tens of thousands and get a deal. Name is johnhurd here on the forums. Send him a PM.

The bullet maker Matt refers to is Precision Cast Bullet Co out of Springport MI. Run by a wonderful fellow named Larry Moss. You can try 517 857 2700 to see if he is still in business since his wife's death. I spent many many visits in his shop and have shot a truckload of his bullets. The quality and hardness is superb. Harold H.