Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ssr 125 Pf Calculation

Gunmac

I am trying to find a load for 38 special which would meet the 125 PF. Although I have found a few recipes which make an average PF of 128 (using 6 shots) there is always one or sometimes two which fall below the 125 requirement.

Does the 125 PF requirement apply to an average string or should all shots be above the limit?

i would go with 135pf, otherwise you may have trouble knocking down some steel, and if you travel elevation plays a big part in velocity, we where i live are at 850 lower than where last years nationals, allot of guys experienced up to 50 fps lower velocity at the higher elevation, so it pays to be safe

Thanks for the chrono procedure reference in the rulebook. The first time I read the rules I did not have a chrono and skipped the section. I didn't think about looking at the index to see if it is covered.

+10 pf seems like the high end of +P range. I like the concept and will probably move things up to 130 pf to see what that does.

thanks,

Tom

I usually load 38 special to average 130 power factor. Any higher will beat up your 38 special revolver.

If I am going to big matches then I sort my brass or use new. I want to make sure every round makes power factor. I will chrono several times to be sure. I have found that some brands of brass give a higher velocity.

I usually load 38 special to average 130 power factor. Any higher will beat up your 38 special revolver.

If I am going to big matches then I sort my brass or use new. I want to make sure every round makes power factor. I will chrono several times to be sure. I have found that some brands of brass give a higher velocity.

Bill:

I am using 158 grain SWC and JHP together with Unique and HS-6. Primer is WSP and brass is Starline. Should I be trying something else?

I shot SSR all last year and found it nearly impossible to buy "loaded" ammo other than +P that makes the power factor.

Like Bill indicated be careful if you are shooting a .38 spl. I shoot a .357 with .38 spl ammo. The gun is more able to withstand the 130 - 135 PF 38 loads..... than the lighter frame 38s

I was at more than one match where half or more of the SSR shooters were DQed for light loads.....and the majority were shooting "factory" ammo---- so reloading is clearly the way to go.

B T W---- there are a few companies that sell .38 bullets in the FMJ configuration. They are perfect for a competition wheel gun but hard to find.

Edited by MichiganShootist

I have been using the Berry 158 plated round nose bullet. http://www.berrysmfg.com/25.php It loads into the chamber easily.

I use Bullseye powder but I won't list the load because it came from an older reloading manual. My load is over current listings. :o

Unique or HS-6 will probably give you the velocity you need. You should check over a chrono through your gun. Check that your load doesn't leave unburned powder under the ejector star. That will either give you a very heavy trigger pull or could possibly prevent firing if it is bad enough. :unsure:

Most revolver shooters are using Federal primers because they are the softest and easiest to set off with light trigger jobs. If WSP primers are working for you I would use up what I had before changing.

Starline brass is good. I have a motley assortment of many times fired brass so I sort if the match is important. ;)

Good luck. Maybe we will meet at a match this year.

Thanks for the chrono procedure reference in the rulebook. The first time I read the rules I did not have a chrono and skipped the section. I didn't think about looking at the index to see if it is covered.

+10 pf seems like the high end of +P range. I like the concept and will probably move things up to 130 pf to see what that does.

thanks,

Tom

i cronographed a few factory +p's they averaged 144pf

Tom - Unless you're using a .357 revolver, you'll be out of luck finding loads using the JHP that make the PF. Even using a .357, you'll be way over any .38 Special book load. The SWCs are harder to speedload, and speedloading is what makes or breaks you.

I haven't tried Unique in .38 Special. I do know that there are a couple of book loads (Speer #13, the current one) that make the PF with the Berry's plated RNs from my guns, using PB and 231. They're in the .38 +P tables for 158 grain lead bullets. I still have to try 7625 and 4756.

I try to stay away from HS6. In .38 loads, cleaning the gun involves a shovel.

1)

This is is a 38 Special +P+ loading. It is 0.1 gr powder ABOVE the 38 Special +P load shown in the latest Hodgdon manual.

It is a very reliable load and has made chrono at the last 3 Natl's & S&W WCs

Berry's 38 cal 158 gr CPRN DS

4.4 gr Titegroup

Federal 100 SP primers

1.500" ctg OAL

840 fps from 4" Model 19-3 & 586-2, 800 fps from a 3" Model 13-2

I have well over 30K rd through my K frames with this load and have had no problems.

2)

This is also a 38 Special +P+ loading

Berry's 9mm cal 147 gr CPRN (0.356" dia bullet)

4.7 gr Titegroup

Federal 100 SP primer

1.510" ctg OAL

900 fps from a 4" 19-3 & 67-6

This bullet profile is great for smooth reloads and has ideal recoil attributes for me. Since the bullet is a 9mm (0.001" undersized) it is finicky in some guns. It works better in 4" barrels than 3" barrels. The crimp is the key. Too much and bullets will tumble, too little and you will get bullet walk-out in the cylinder - especially in 3" barrels. My Dillon crimp die works best; the Redding Competition crimp die not so well. This load will hold a 2" group at 25 yd in my 67-6.

Craig

Edited by Bones

I did some more work with the Pact chronograph and can now meet a 128 pf with the slowest of the six shot string using bullseye, unique and hs-6. Looks like I am in business.

I also did some manufacturer ammo with the GP100. Results are:

Winchester (white box) USA38SP 125 g - 118 pf

Winchester (white box) Q4196 150 g - 121 pf

CCI Blazer 3522 158 g - 126 pf

CCI Blazer 3519 +P 158 g - 144 pf

So the +P Blazer looks good if you don't want to reload.

One final question is why is there such a wide spread in velocity with my test loads. Same brass, same bullet, same primer and powder trickler/dillon electronic scale for weight. Dillon 550B press so everything should be consistent.

Can the same reload vary in velocity by 50 ft/sec ? The manufacturer loads seem to be within 20 ft/sec.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom - I've had factory ammo vary by more than 100 fps within a string. 50 fps isn't bad at all - the SD will be about 15 fps, which also isn't bad. Some powders tend to give tighter spreads, and some folks can do things more consistently than others and get tighter spreads that way. Nothing wrong with your results at all!

Edited by revchuck